Baby birds + Pond

Reaction score
Hi guys, my husband and I have only just finished our first pond and we were really made up last night when we finally filled it with water, we are not having any fish, just the fountain and waterfall. I woke up today and saw a little bird having a bath in the shelving around the side of the pond, so i went out to try and take a photo of it.... unfortunately i noticed that a baby bird was floating at the other side of the pond assumed it had tried to have a drink of water and drowned, We have birds that nest in the trees at the bottom of the garden but didn't think this would happen, we have three cats also but they are fine with the pond and the birds, what can i do so this horrible thing won't happen again??? I felt really upset to think that we had worked so hard to make a lovely pond and the first morning we wake up to it we find that it has killed one of the babies..... I have been put off using netting as i wouldn't like any birds to come down and get their legs tangled and injured so i don't know what we can do to prevent this.....Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
Your pond sounds so nice! We need pics! Unfortunately, some baby birds just don't make it, no matter what. They fall out of their nest, before they are ready to fly. That is probably what happened. It's nature. If he was big enough to hop up to get a drink, then he should have been able to get back out of the water too. The only idea that I have, without actually seeing the pond, is to maybe add rocks that the birdies can stand on to reach in for a drink or a quick dunk, but since you did see the other one doing just that, I'd say it's fine the way it is, and the little guy that didn't make it was an unfortunate act of Mother Nature.
I had to net my pond, which is a shame because now the birds can't even get to it for a drink. But it had to be done.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is why I used the large weave net above the water, the birds can still get in, none get trapped. They really love the bog for bathing and drinking. I need to go pull enough plants to give them some clear water for their baths.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and I went through that but it was because my biggest koi just jumped up and grab the baby bird and I was right there so used the net to smack the water at aggie and she let it go .I have never seen my koi do that to a bird but have seen her do it to a frog .She may have thought it was a frog and tried to eat it .

Reaction score
Thanks, Addy1 for reminding me about the net. I do intend to get the bigger weave, but I needed one asap, so I got the smaller one in the koi store for now. I do want the small critters and birds to have access. (A chipmunk already got tangled in my net.. and I don't want that to keep happening.) Did you give a link to the place you got yours? I thought so, but can't find it now.

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies, i guess the other bird just wasn't able to get out, sorry i can't upload any pics at this time....I will give the rocks a try as we do have rocks in the rockery so will just use a few from there for now and see if that works. Thanks again guys you have really helped :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
nancyp said:
Thanks, Addy1 for reminding me about the net. I do intend to get the bigger weave, but I needed one asap, so I got the smaller one in the koi store for now. I do want the small critters and birds to have access. (A chipmunk already got tangled in my net.. and I don't want that to keep happening.) Did you give a link to the place you got yours? I thought so, but can't find it now.
Let me find it, need to run outside for a bit between storms. Will get back to you.

Reaction score
Addy1 - another question about your net. Did you get the rope on the border? I think you mentioned somewhere that you did. Can you tell me why that is necessary or preferred.? I am still trying to decide what to order. I do believe I will have to call the company since their site is kind of confusing. Have you had yours very long. I wonder if I can speak to the same person, and they will know what you got.... I will try to get the same one.. only smaller, I sure. Thanks!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still have my ordering notes, somewhere, will see if I can find them. His name was Jason. These are nets used for fishing, they come long and the one I ordered is 6 foot wide, think I got 100 foot long to weave multiple pieces together to make it wide enough. They will put the rope around the edge for you, but he suggested cheaper to just buy rope and do it myself. Without the rope the net stretches every which way. I put clips at each post, just unclip move if need be to work on the pond, or raise and lower. The rope allows you to control it. They put rope around the edge of fishing nets too.

I bought it last summer. I do pull it in the winter, two reasons, snow will make it heavy and hang in the water, the fish hang out in the deep end hardly moving so pretty safe from predators.

I could not figure out their site, the pond netting they offer has small holes. When I spoke to him, I told him my reason for the larger hole net. The words they use to order the fishing net had me clueless, since I have never used one for fishing. We went though all the netting they had and figure out this would work the best.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
addy1 said:
This is the company I bought it from. I called them to get help in ordering. Mine has 5 inch openings. I had them dip it in black anti uv stuff, make it last longer and it does not show like the white color would.

http://www.memphisnet.net/category/netting
Which netting was it? One inch was the largest I found with a quick look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This is the company I use in the UK, they export as well :-

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/

Ours is a circular pond with bungee strapping to tighten around the pond, plus another that runs across the pond and tightend to keep the net clear of the water , we use the 6 mm hexagonal netting you can still se your fish through it.
It is still going strong after 5 years weve repaired the odd small hole but it isnt affected by the UV rays from the sun as some nets are.
When we put the covers over the pond each winter Val simply puts it through the washing machine using detergent on its first wash and then a further two non detergent washes to ensure there is non left in the net then at the start of the season off come the covers on goes the net which is then tightened up again around the pond and across the pond.
We definately got our monies worth and more .
Tell them what you wantand they will do it for you .

rgrds

Dave

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mmathis said:
Which netting was it? One inch was the largest I found with a quick look.

http://www.memphisnet.net/product/4772/netting_seine_knotted_15
When I discussed what I wanted with the company, i.e. Jason, this is what he recommended. Guess I bought 4 inch hole not 5, finally found the tag. It works great no critters are trapped.

Dave 54 said:
This is the company I use in the UK, they export as well :-

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/

Ours is a circular pond with bungee strapping to tighten around the pond, plus another that runs across the pond and tightend to keep the net clear of the water , we use the 6 mm hexagonal netting you can still se your fish through it.
It is still going strong after 5 years weve repaired the odd small hole but it isnt affected by the UV rays from the sun as some nets are.
When we put the covers over the pond each winter Val simply puts it through the washing machine using detergent on its first wash and then a further two non detergent washes to ensure there is non left in the net then at the start of the season off come the covers on goes the net which is then tightened up again around the pond and across the pond.
We definately got our monies worth and more .
Tell them what you wantand they will do it for you .

rgrds

Dave

The small weave net is great, but when I had deer fencing over my pond, about 1/2 to 1 inch squares I had drowned birds, trapped butterflies, trapped frogs. For me I want a wide weave net. Save the critters.

Ask a Question