Baby Chicks - eyes closed

Reaction score
In addition to the wild iguanas and crabs we also have a problem with wild chickens.

So today the boys were chasing some chickens, they always want to catch some, but of course the chickens are too fast, but it keeps them busy and deters the chickens from tearing up my garden.

Today, a few chicks didn't run. Weird. The boys were shocked. So I ran over to check it out. They didn't seem to have eyes. Then on second look, maybe their eyes are just sealed shut ... ? They are quite healthy looking. They already have feathers, so I'm more inclined to believe this sealed eye thing happened recently. I have them in a box in my playroom, they are all snuggled together sleeping right now.

I plan to take them to the Vet tomorrow (my husband is not happy at paying the Vet bill for 4 wild chickens, who will probably eat fruits we grow).

Anyone run into this yet?

Reaction score
Google it you may find the help you need with going to the vet!!!
I just googled chicks with eyes closed and found several posts. They talked of them being sick and using infant liquid vitamins and some sort of antibiotics called "amoxicillan(fish mox) in their food" that can be bought at some pet store or online.

Please google it for the exact info, last time I tried to help someone on this forum with doing a google search I got lambasted. Let me state I own no chicks and have no knowledge of how to care for them.

Reaction score
Thanks. I did a couple of google searches, but I will just take them, I don't have to mess around with the chicks. The boys are out of school for summer, so its full on busy season for me. Lol!

I'll let you know the outcome tomorrow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Got luck "wild iguanas and crabs we also have a problem with wild chickens" and I thought gettings visiting ducks was a big deal :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hope it turns out well for the chicks. We took one to the vet once to fix a broken leg. The vet had never fixed a chicken leg before but he did it for free just to see if he could. It worked but I think lots of people would have just cooked up that poor chicken and ate it.
Always has to be some that look out for the poor critters of the world who get a raw deal of it all sometimes :)

Reaction score
The Vet put them all down. Said it was a contagious chicken virus that was going to spread through the whole colony.. :( If I find any more I am suppose to take them in to be out down.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah that is too bad. I suppose when too many chickens start breeding they start getting unhealthy. Some things can't be helped and you did your best for them.

Reaction score
There is a silver lining to every cloud, they slept close and comfortable, they did not starve or thirst, no pain and now you know what to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition to the wild iguanas and crabs we also have a problem with wild chickens.

So today the boys were chasing some chickens, they always want to catch some, but of course the chickens are too fast, but it keeps them busy and deters the chickens from tearing up my garden.

Today, a few chicks didn't run. Weird. The boys were shocked. So I ran over to check it out. They didn't seem to have eyes. Then on second look, maybe their eyes are just sealed shut ... ? They are quite healthy looking. They already have feathers, so I'm more inclined to believe this sealed eye thing happened recently. I have them in a box in my playroom, they are all snuggled together sleeping right now.

I plan to take them to the Vet tomorrow (my husband is not happy at paying the Vet bill for 4 wild chickens, who will probably eat fruits we grow).

Anyone run into this yet?
You are aware of avian flu!?. Stop the kids from chasing them. Call a vet right away.

Ask a Question