Baby comets actually starting to change color LOL.

Reaction score
Sorry the pics are so crappy, but took a bunch to attempt to photo the babies at different stages. I need a much better camera! Just gonna post them all, but you may have to play 'where's waldo' to spot most of them.

Attachments

• DSCN4488.JPG
    DSCN4488.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCN4497.JPG
    DSCN4497.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN4502.JPG
    DSCN4502.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 562
  • DSCN4505.JPG
    DSCN4505.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 412
  • DSCN4514.JPG
    DSCN4514.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 382
  • DSCN4515.JPG
    DSCN4515.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN4518.JPG
    DSCN4518.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 371
  • DSCN4523.JPG
    DSCN4523.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN4529.JPG
    DSCN4529.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 385
Reaction score
They are starting to get cute:) Never thought I would say that about comet babies. Didnt think any of them would ever start to change color. Maybe 15-20 of them are starting to school with the others. Kind of funny watching them school with the white guy ... (s)he is 12+"... no clue what kind of fish it is ... all I know is it was purchased out of a feeder goldfish tank (20 for $1) to establish another's pond, and it didnt die, and eventually got too big for them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your fish are very pretty and that big white one is cool! Love the long tailed ones too. How come everyone has those pretty long tailed goldfish and I can never find any, not even the Shubbies I buy have the long tails, dog gone it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They are called butterfly and i have about 5 of them and then some that I think were mixed breeds I gave to people starting ponds .I am surprised your petsmart does not have them because they have them here .Ahhh but do remember when i commented to the girl about them she said customers asked if they could get them .

Reaction score
Thanks JW... I didnt know Shubunkins had short tails too??? Do you want some long tail comets? We have two girls like the one in the first picture who are full of eggs. I can afford to place a few. If we wait a month so it cools off some, they should handle USPS next day shipping. I also have a couple of Shubunkins (long tails) I could add in. I am only looking for more blue, and have a couple (6-8 weeks) who are presently all red (likely to get black on them too).

Reaction score
Sissy... never seen comets or shubunkins at our Petsmart... plenty of other goldfish varieties tho... and occasionally koi too, but that has been really hit or miss. Been in a few times this summer for other items, and I always walk over and look, and the koi tanks have been empty.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks JW... I didnt know Shubunkins had short tails too??? Do you want some long tail comets? We have two girls like the one in the first picture who are full of eggs. I can afford to place a few. If we wait a month so it cools off some, they should handle USPS next day shipping. I also have a couple of Shubunkins (long tails) I could add in. I am only looking for more blue, and have a couple (6-8 weeks) who are presently all red (likely to get black on them too).

Nice of you to offer to her, if you have too many babies and have some small ones to remove........lol...........I am going to winter in some of my small shubbies, honey requested a tank in the house with fish. So the deck pond shubbies get to spend the winter in doors. Would have to see how bad the smack is for shipping.

Reaction score
Shipping is going to hurt. Worst case, USPS has a flat rate next day box that I think I read was $35, so if it is that high, would only be worth it if ya cant get this variety.... by the pound, it may be cheaper, just dont know without putting together a dummy box to have them quote it.

Hubby just found another baby out in the pond.. too small for me to tell what it is yet... it is now inside with the tiny month old fry... that was FUN... had to catch a few (7) of what was in itty bit pool that was growing faster, to the 'chomper tank' and move some of the bigger chompers (5) over to the one inch plus group...

Only thing I know right now is my blue shubunkin is STILL fat... Tried to get some more pics of her, and cant get her dang color to show, but ya can see how fat she is... will upload a pic in a few minutes...

Reaction score
So when is she gonna pop??? LOL.

Attachments

• DSCN4559.JPG
    DSCN4559.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 323
  • DSCN4560.JPG
    DSCN4560.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN4562.JPG
    DSCN4562.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 274

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the offer cape and would be really cool to get some from ya but I think the cost is too much to ship them here and I'd be worried too that the long hot trip would do them in. Wish I lived closer. I think I will ask at my Petsmart if they can get any in and see what they say. The ones I have in the bathtub pond I saw today and they are getting big and I'll be transferring them into the big pond soon. Those I got when real tiny and tails didn't look long but who knows if they stay still long enough and quit hiding from me maybe I'll discover some might have long tails.

Reaction score
If we waited a month with next day shipping, they would be fine, BUT it is ONLY practical if you cant get them there. I buy a lot of fish off ebay cuz I cant get crap for variety here...

Reaction score
Each time I dont think she can get any fatter, she DOES... really wish I had somewhere in the house to put her and a couple of boys... I love how blue she is (and these pics dont show it)... I want MORE of her LOL. We are AT LEAST 2-3 weeks before we will be able to combine all the fry from 3 tanks/pools down to 2... and hubby just told me that he just spotted another TINY baby outside (9:22 pm here), so he is going back out to see what he can find... My Shubunkin babies anyways, are soooo dumb/easy to catch (or be eaten)... catching everything til we know what they are LOL.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol that is why honey wants to keep the deck shubbies in the house for the winter. He wants more shubbie babies.

Ask a Question