Baby goldfish growth

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
First year with good growth a comet can reach 8" long in the first season, average first year fish ( Comets) though would probably be clower to 4-6" for the most of the country. Fantails 4" are about max for first year and then maybe a inch or two larger the second year, BUT they do grow quite fat, not long. lol

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
your question rather generalized..... Theres factors like how much, how often, and what you feed them. how big their enviroment is, etc...their genetics is a great factor, more so in a "pond spawn" where all able fish are involved. multiple egg & sperm donors make for a much more varied gene pool. i have now,from this years spawning, and in the past, have had the fish (fry) from these" pond spawn"s vary quite a bit ...the smallest still just in the 2" range to the largest at over 5" already..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had a couple fry last winter that grew about about 3 inches between spring and fall. I think it would depend on your pond size. Mine is under 500 gallons so it is on the small side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I had several spawnings last summer, my first year with the pond. The goldfish babies were born starting in August, and they are anywhere from 1.5" to at least 4" long. My pond is 4,000 gallons. I fed them daily with a moderate quality koi food until water got below 55 degrees.

Ask a Question