Baby Goldfish, What should I do?

Reaction score
Discovered that my goldfish apparently had babies, tiny about 3/8" long. I scooped out about 20, presently in glass jar. Do I need to segregate the babies from the adults? What size should the small ones be before I reintroduce them to the pond? My adults are about 4-5" long.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are some good threads on raising fry, fish tank, brine shrimp to feed them etc.

I just leave mine in the pond. I have enough plants etc that lets small fry hide from the adults. Some will get eaten, I am sure, which can be a good thing ow the pond will get overwhelmed with fish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just leave mine in also and some fit through the tiny holes in my floating plant rings and stay in there till I scoop them out when they get bigger. I'm sure lots get eaten and eggs too but if they didn't I would have way too many fish :lol:

digginponds

pondaholic
Reaction score
I scooped out about 20, presently in glass jar
If you plan to keep them inside ,you need a tank.Remember that a few fry will either get eaten or sucked into your pump/s.
Population verusus ratio of pond,the fish will sort that out,I'm sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Mcgiiver, most people leave their fry in unless they want to commit to raising fish.. Some may make it, but the alternative is that otherwise your pond will be overloaded very quickly. I have two that made it on their own from last year and even got through the winter okay!

Ask a Question