Baby Goldies Going Back in Pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, we currently have five baby goldfish. They look to be comet/fantail crosses. They were spawned in early Autumn/fall last year and the cold was massively stunting their growth, so we brought them inside. There is one that is about two inches long, and the rest are about three inches long. All are very active and healthy.

I would like to put them back in our pond, to give them lots of space for optimal growth, but our weather right now is ranging between about 2 degrees Celsius at night, to around 16 degrees Celsius in the day. Will they be okay in the pond? I’m pretty spooked by the effect the cold had on them when they were young, and hesitant to put them out yet, especially the little one. On the other hand, the extra space and more stable water quality in the pond would be great for them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's a big range in between temps. I would wait myself till the temps were more up towards the 16C range more consistently in the day time too. Wonder what the water temp is in the pond? Prolly not very warm at all. Would hate to see you put them in there and they go into shock and die after all you have been doing to keep them safe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@j.w thank you for the reply!

Yep, it’s usually not *quite* such a large range but British weather is unpredictable Today for example is between 4-19 degrees Celsius… in the tank they’re in 20 degrees Celsius. We don’t have a pond thermometer at current so these temps are all I have to go off, but it’s definitely on the agenda to get one.

The daytime temperatures are fine for them I think, but the nighttime drops worry me. We aren’t getting any freezing over any more but they’re so little… I know some people leave their fry in the pond to overwinter but like you said, it would be horrible to put them in and lose any of them.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
If you slowly acclimated them ( like over the course of several weeks ) then it would probably be okay, but then why not just wait a few weeks until it is warmer out.

I left the babies in my pond ( about 2 inches ) all winter, and they survived a very cold winter.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy yep, def going to wait. I would hate to lose them after all this time! Did your babies get stunted growth at all?
They haven’t really grown at all over the winter, but I assume they will continue once the weather warms up and I start feeding again.

Ask a Question