Baby Koi With Nipped Tail Fin...?

Reaction score
I tried to find info about this in the forum but came up short...
Q. One of my baby koi seems to have nipped tail fins ... at least that's all I hope it is.
Ive only just noticed this two days ago.
I've got a 12" koi, and 10 babies all between 5 and 6 inches long. I havent seen any aggressive behavior from the big one towards the babies. They all seem fine otherwise.

I've also got 9 regular goldfish about 4" long. Some of the goldfish have been hassling the baby koi since we first brought them home (about a month ago). (I should also mention my pond is 6,000 gallons. ) I'm assuming the few gf doing the chasing and hassling are males - it seems to be mating behavior and they're confused.
My question is... with all the aggressive behavior from the goldfish, could they also be nipping at the tail fins of the little koi? I don't see anything that looks like fungus or sores, the tail e.dges are clean and not ragged, just sort of shortened a bit.
I've also got the ponds salt content up to .1%.
I planned on finding the gf another place to go soon..
IF I can catch them!! :alieneyesa:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have watched my larger gf chase some of the fry, so it is possible one of them or even one of the koi nipped the tail. Doing a territory type behavior.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Not the first posting this season about goldfish chasing small koi, as long as there isn't and fungus or redness in the fins I wouldn't worry a whole lot. I've kept both and they setlled down and live very well together now.

Reaction score
Thank you! I've been watching vigilantly and his tail fin doesn't seem to be getting worse, and if anything almost looks a bit better. It wasn't terribly bad, just shortened. The GF seem to have settled down a bit too, so maybe they got that out of their system for a while... :regular_waving_emot All our babies seem to be doing very well, and we now even have some gorgeous little new ones....... our collection is growing! I really appreciate this forum -- it has a lot of great info and I get in and dig through it often. :lol:

Reaction score
Im sure my sarassas and shubunkin are evil. They chase any new fish around for days. I was going to get rid of them but accepted advice from the forum and have kept them. If they cause my new fish harm their going:regular_waving_emot

Ask a Question