Baby raccoon won't leave!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This time every year the raccoons come to play on my arbor and eat the all the grapes. I have to take the bird feeder in at night or they somehow get it off the hook and to the ground then forage on the seed. So besides the grapes there has not been anything to eat however I am not sure if they are picking off any goldfish as it is hard to see them with all the lilies and hyacinths in the pond. So last night around 4am I hear them on the arbor, too tired to get up and scare them off I go back to sleep to wake up to a patio full of half eaten grapes, what a mess! Then around 8am I see this what I thought to be a cat walking around some bushes then I realize it is a baby raccoon. I go about my business and come back out later to see him eating corn out of the squirrel feeder, so I go outside to scare him off only he doesn't scare. I get a broom stick and try to prod him off the feeder and he climbs up to the top of the arbor, so I get a squirt bottle and squirt him in the face, he is still unfazed. I go inside and let him come back down then go outside again this time armed with my pond net, stick and squirt bottle, I use the net to try and keep him from climbing to the top of the arbor but he has some really strong claws and manages to still climb to the top, then I get the stick again and poke him finally he starts to move but only to the other side of the arbor and now he sits watching me. I really don't want to shoot him but if he doesn't leave soon he will be meeting his maker. I can't have him setting up home. I think his family left him last night, hopefully they come for him.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
awwwwwwwwwww bet it is a cutie. Found a good source of grapes to eat and doesn't want to move on. Doubt it is hurting your fish.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is his mug shot.

Attachments

• P1030192.JPG
    P1030192.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 387

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Cute mug shot! It just wants easy food. I have not seen our raccoons at all recently. Esp since I put the bird feeders up on the pole. The feeders are just up there so we can see them from the house, the squirrels do love to climb and try to eat out of them.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So now the little bugger is just sleeping on top of my arbor. I think his family left him here, hopefully they come back for him tonight.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
tmann thought you had a wildlife habitat .Catch him in wildlife trap and take him to an area where he can live peacefully .Maybe take him to a persons house you don't like and get a smile on your face as you tell him go and have fun

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Such a cute little guy. Don't shoot him tmann............we will cry. Maybe he's lost his mother and is so hungry he can't help himself even if you poke at him. Hope his clan comes back for him tonight. He will have eaten his fill by then and may be ready to leave.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some raccoons leave some male young to fend for themselves and start a new family

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here he is sleeping. Hoping his family comes for him tonight.

Attachments

• P1030193.JPG
    P1030193.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 386

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Awwwwwwwwww, he's had his fill, having a nice nappy and just doesn't know where to go. He doesn't look very big. Wonder how old he is?
Guess if you don't want raccoons you'll have to remove all those grapevines cuz it seems they can't resist. You were thinking about getting something else to replace them weren't you?
There are lots of nice vines that aren't as invasive as Wisteria too. I've heard others talking about them on here. Can't remember what they were called but think there are lots. Oh forgot about Clematis.........lots of varieties and colors............so pretty! Climbing Roses too and Raccoons wouldn't like the prickers!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aww what a sweetie...........so cute. The group pulling down my pond in arizona just texted me to say they found a snake and a whole bunch of snake eggs. They are going to take them out to the desert, a bull snake, if I was still living there would leave it be.........

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wasn't it a bull snake that bit sissy? Nice of your renters to not want to kill the snake and her eggs anyways.

Tmann and sissy thinking alike today on dream sleeper.........never heard the term myself, lol , guess it's a mid-west term or southern

Ask a Question