Back filled pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pond liner left in ground & back filled.
Lawned over about 4 yrs.
Grass yellowing as permentation causing gases.
Any advice to how long this could go on,or is it best to dig it all out remove liner & start again.
Any advice would be grateful
Many thans simon

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Assume you mean fermentation? Assuming you did not poke holes in the liner before covering? Usually recommended to allow proper drainage. How deep and wide?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It won't stop for a half century when the liner fails . you could always get an electricians drill extension they can be up to 6 feet long and just drill through the soil. punturing the liner like jrs said

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1672790759130.gif
@ponds123

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! Assume you mean fermentation? Assuming you did not poke holes in the liner before covering? Usually recommended to allow proper drainage. How deep and wide?
Thanks for the welome & reply to jrs.
Back filled my pond as it became to much work for me.
Pond size 10ft x 8ft 30"deep,no holes poke in liner
Folded liner in from sides,sediment left in (mistake) hmm,backed filled with earth & stones,then about 2 ton of limestone chippings,then 6" of earth,grass seed & grass grew great,3/4 yrs on now grass is just moss(its become a bog pit).
Pond was raised on a higher level so dampness weaping down to lower level,with a acidic smell.which is overwhelming at times
Im thinking possible fermentation is occurring & would the limestone be leaching in the stagnent ground.
Any advice on that theory.
Its a big job but i think it needs to be dug back out,removed,
Any advice welcome,before i undertake this mammoth task
Cheers simon

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you could always get an electricians drill extension they can be up to 6 feet long and just drill through the soil. punturing the liner like jrs said
Try making holes in the liner, a lot of holes.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'd try the drill method first with many holes as mentioned. You only have to go down 30" to pierce the liner. Lot less work and should let the collected moisture drain away solving your problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! Yes, it's a huge task to dig it back up but if you filled it in with big rocks I don't know if an extended drill bit will be able to get through...No harm in trying though I guess since that would be the easiest fix...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
if it smells like rotten eggs or sulfur you are making hydrogen sulfide. not a good product to have around at any level. It can be produced by decomposition of organic material. hydrogen sulfide is a acidic gas and will turn grass yellow and eventually kill it. if drilling LOTS of holes don't work you will have no choice but to remove the buried liner. if you can figure out how to pump large amounts of sodium bicarbonate in to the gravel layer to slow down and or stop the production of hydrogen sulfide. this is a gas you do NOT want to mess with long or short term.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe drill from outside the perimeter of the pond, at an angle, to avoid the rocks in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
easiest thing to do is rent a mini excavator. dig it up tear up the liner back fill . but it should also be asked what kind of soil do you have , if its clay then you have a problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for advice,greatly recieved,my concern is the pond is close to house,wouldnt want smelly water going under house,could cause further problems,just wondered if there was a way of treating it.
Got a chap calling round tomorrow, have a chat about removal soil & replace.
I keep u posted,these problems may help someone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yes i have my concerns about gases,would it benifit if i gottop6" of grass off to let it breath to the atmosphere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry ,that should read as
Yesi have my concerns about gases would it benifit if i took top 6" of grass off to let it breath to the atmosphere

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soil is mixture of earth ,3,/4 limestone chippings,stones,silt,no doght some plant vegitation fom pond,would it be wise to scrap all of this & put new clean soil in its place.
Many thanks

Ask a Question