back from holiday

Reaction score
some pals stayed at ours and fed the fish (whoops.. 3x plus the amount they needed)
the fish are alive so that is really good (as much for our pals as for the fish!!)
anyway, the entire surface of the pond is covered with plants when we have returned home.
Will the plants achieve a happy medium or will we have to remove some?
I hate the thought of chucking them out. (water hyacinth, frogs bit and water lettuce)

I have a river at the bottom of my garden and I wonder if I put them in a basket that wont float away, will they survive or does it need to be still water?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome back, hope your trip was great! See if you can post some for sale, make a little money.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Plants and animals that are not indiginous to a region should NEVER be placed into a natural waterway or land.
Look at all the trouble places have with plants that are killing the fish because they compete for the little oxygen in the water. Some lakes had to have the entire plant and fish killed to remove the offending plants.
Then there are the morons who are turning loose their pet snakes in the everglades and other places. I can only imagine living in fear of a 30' Anaconda coming into my back door.

Reaction score
Hi folks
I hadnt thought about the consequences of putting those plants in the river so a very big thank you for pointing out how wrong it would be. I would never release any animal into the wild in that fashion but hadnt thought about plants the same way until now.

I have given some to my mother and will take some into work.
It makes us laugh (or cry!!) when we think how much we paid for these plants individually in the first place and how we watched them, desperately wanting them to grow a little and make the pond look more mature.
Then in two weeks the surface of the pond had disappeared with the blooming things.

We did our checks of the various animals etc on getting home after our hols and and went to check the fish.
I saw mine and so did hub and so did two of the boys but not our youngest boy...
The three boys all knelt around the pond, bottoms up in the air and faces inches away from the water, like little statues searching for 'Bambam'!
The band of brothers search party began to lose interest when the urge for a biscuit set in (after about five minutes) and soon there was just the youngest still sitting watching for his fish 'Bambam', looking sad.
The house guests had accidently knocked the garage freezer off and the mountain of holiday washing was looking like Id need ropes and an ice pick to begin to tackle it..
We were all hungry and tired and the dogs were to collect from the kennels but 'Bambam' was missing and the tension was rising.
By now the older two were telling their brother that the fish must be dead and Im hissing at them to shut up as their comments were not exactly helpful.They did then volunteer to put on their goggles and put their heads under the water to get a better look!!!

'Bambam' was found alive and kicking soon after but I was in need of another holiday to chill and a glass of wine!!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing, what a story. Welcome back to home.
Glad BamBam was found.

Those little plants do cost, and cost too much. They must like your pond.

I am picking some up from somebody that is getting rid of plants from their pond. Yeah for craigslist.

Ask a Question