Back yard pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
we recently doug a pond,approx 14 feet in diameter and about 4 feet deep... it’s all clay too we live in Ohio We left the mounds of dirt (clay) around the peremiter of the pond, we plan on getting a pond liner.. which apparently are expensive! If any one knows a good place to order on line, please let me know. Not sure if I should plant some fescue grass around the outside bank or not... we have a lot of research and planning to do, but the end result will look sweet! ( I hope !? ). Lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
roof liner or I got mine at dr foster and smith freeshipping.It was a pondliner and was onsale for presidents day sale

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome to the group. Do your research, if you’ve got any kind of rock in the clay, you may want under liner. Don’t forget shelves, steps, space for filter, etc. I’ve been watching a lot of pond building how to’s.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
re the shelves; just be aware that raccoons and herons like to use them for fishing purposes. If you plan on predator deterrents, shouldn't be a problem then.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have herons, there is a roosting site west of us, maybe 15 miles. They fly over our house all of the time. Until I kept up a net 24/7 they visited my pond daily. Beautiful birds, very patient, they know how to stalk. I watched one spend 30 minutes walking from its landing spot to the edge of my pond.

They like to land in shallow ends, the crazy fish swim up to it when it disturbs the stuff on the bottom.

I made my pond without shelves, there is a deep narrow shelf on the bog wall side but the heron has never landed on it. I do have a shallow walk out end, the heron has walked into the pond, before net.

With the wide weave net on, they fly over, look down at my pond and keep going.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
opps forgot to welcome you to our group of ponding fanatics. Welcome!

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome
I'm in Ohio also
My pond liner is from Aquarium Adventures in Hilliard OH. I bought from the 15 ft wide roll and got 16 feet long off of it for about $200 in 2016

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Welcome to the group!!!
One thing to mention is if your pond is 14' diameter and 4' deep, you will need at least 24' wide piece unless you are ok with gluing it together. (14'+4'+4'+1'+1'=24'- this is allowing only 1' extra on the outside edge.) I planned my pond so that the 20' wide liner would work. I bought my EPDM liner at the local lumber yard and bought it by the foot. They had both 12' and 20' wide rolls. They delivered it for free (small town, this is normal). It will be VERY heavy, so keep that in mind if you try to order it on-line. I didn't find it anywhere cheaper than the local lumberyard. If you have it delivered, make sure they put it where you can get to it easily. I have a tractor with a loader, and although I'm a small (but mighty!!!) person, I was able to roll the folded up bundle onto the scoop. Then, it was a matter of unfolding it, folding it so it would be easiest to handle and unfold once I put it into the pond. Let's just say I got SUPER lucky the first time, as I laid the liner for my 9'x19' pond plus waterfall area by myself!
Good luck! And, post pictures of your hole. We all like to see work in progress photos, especially when someone else is doing the work. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, and concerning shelves, if you don't have a way to get in and out of your pond, you may get in and not get back out! I'm so glad my sister thought to tell me to remember to put steps in. The liner gets very slippery in time. :) And, heaven forbid, if an animal falls into the pond, you'll want it to have a way to get out, rather than clawing at the edge and tearing the liner! Yes, if you are near the woods, raccoons and other varmits will use those steps to get in and out, too, but most animals won't go in if the first step is deep. Herons ... they will use a step if it's even 2-3' deep! My dogs keep the herons out of the yard, and no woods near me for 1.5 miles, so rarely will raccoons or opossums be an issue for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am new to garden ponds but some things I have seen are. Place for a surface skimmer. Bottom drain. Shallow end drain. Make shelf close to the top for rock of brick to keep liner not exposed to the sun.
You can get used vinyl bilbords cheap. They can be 17 mill thick. I wonder if one of those would work

Last edited:

Ask a Question