Backhangers...got to love them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Yes unsightly. A chore to clean. Parts to fail however, I have always had a BH on the job somewhere. They are my workhorses for my smaller tanks. Polisher, BB booster, decon and the list goes on. I have a small team now that reside in a tub where they are fed and running. I read an article some time ago about having a hanger with coarse filter only in med tanks to allow for dosing. Today I really needed to speed up a tank for space. I ran it 2 weeks snail mode, added some feeders all the while with Stability and usually that does the trick. I’m running a large sponge and a mini power head for filtration. 20 gallon tank and it’s being lazy. It’s been 3 weeks so I’m doing daily WC now to keep the NH in check. Go to the “gallows” tub, grab a hanger and pop it in. Guess what happens in a few days? Why don’t I do this from the start? Not there when I need them. When I need them, it’s for a situation that needs attention now. Any way as soon as things are rolling, out she goes back to the tub. Just thought I’d share something working for me. Peace Pond Dwellers

Reaction score
Country
United States
I enjoyed your post, Sparky. Yeah, HOB’s are very useful. I especially like sponge filters, either air driven or powerhead driven. All of my fish tanks have at least one sponge filter as a component of the filtration system. ‘Seasoned’ HOB’s and sponge filters make quick work of tank cycling.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
I enjoyed your post, Sparky. Yeah, HOB’s are very useful. I especially like sponge filters, either air driven or powerhead driven. All of my fish tanks have at least one sponge filter as a component of the filtration system. ‘Seasoned’ HOB’s and sponge filters make quick work of tank cycling.
Stephen
Yeah I was just doing some maintainence and been watching this 20 waiting for it to pop as I’ve some gups i’ve been working on that need to grow out. Didn’t even think twice about throwing a BH in there. Second nature now. These are 3rd gen and this strain has been raised in current so they love that extra movement in the tank as well.

Ask a Question