Backwash question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. We have a pressurized filter system for our pond which requires backwashing periodically. We do this on a regular basis, following the instructions. The backwash water is usally dirty, then clears up before going to the rinse procedure, and the rinse water is typically a lot clearer.
However, recently the pressure got high in the filter, and after finally finding out that the screen inside the filter box was dirty and clogged the pressure went down.
Ever since then the backwash has been clean and the rinse water very dirty.

So, I understand how the backwash works but eventually shouldn't the rinse water clear up? Did I do something to cause this?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Follow up.
Could I have possibly rotated the top 180° in the wrong direction when reassembling the backwash valve, after cleaning, causing the rinse and backwash to swap?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know if you can access my Media page on here but I will attach pictures also.
This external filter, which is only used to circulate water in the main lower tier of pond is a Pondmaster 4000 with UV.
The submersible pump that supplies the water to this filter only is a Vancs 50pn2.25s, picture attached.
40wt-pressurized.jpg

Attachments

• 51E8z1rN6zL._SY300_.jpg
    51E8z1rN6zL._SY300_.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. I actually put together a real simple, illustrated laminated bachwash procedure for my step-father, so "He" could keep up with the maintenance. Ha.
We haven't had problems with the bachwash rinse or backwash until I cleared up the clogged screen area inside the pressurized filter. From my understanding, I can't find specifics for my unit, the regular flow of incoming water is diverted inside the 3-way valve so that it goes through the screen passing down into the biomedia area, then up through the agitator and back through the outflow ti pond.
Usually I agitate the filter by rotating the handle a few times before turning waste valve to open and 3way to backwash, which had dirty water coming out for about a minute, then I would turn to rinse, until clear, then one more backwash before returning to normal position and closing waste valve.
Now, the backwash is clean all the time and the rinse is dirty and hasn't gotten completely clear.
It's been about three weeks since I fixed clog.
After my last post about the possibility of reassembling the 3-way incorrectly, causing the rinse and backwash to be reversed, i took apart the 3-way, and there is only one configuration that works and that's the way i had it.
I am convinced, ad you mentioned before, that there is definitely a collapse or at least a root causing leak, in the corrugated tubing used for the outflow. But, i haven't tried everything to find where exactly it is. I have attached a picture of the inside of filter, showing screen and agitator.
Before our psi was around 3, then it got really high, 8-9, that's when I cleared clog, but it has been around 4.5 ever since. You mentioned before that the pump might be too much for filter to handle, but it is 3600gph and filter max is 4000. The distance and rise for pump is approximately 15ft, elevation 2.5ft.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-06-26-16-16-59-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-06-26-16-16-59-1.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 189

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What form of mechanical pre-filtering do you have. Pressurized filters are not designed to operate as a mechanical filter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
From what I can tell or see, there is no pre-filter installed. There is the sub pump that feeds the pressurized filter, and a separate bottom drain which feeds external vancs pump for waterfall.

I assume that if there was one it would be on a side wall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, since I probably don't have a mechanical pre-filter, unless upper tier areas of waterfall would be considered bogs, what would be the best way to install one, based on having a submersible pump?
I guess there are different types.
The submersible pump is attached to a 4ft piece of corrugated pipe, before entering side wall of pond, could a filter be installed between pump and wall, using the corrugated pipe? Or would the pressure be too effected ?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
To put it simply....you have a problem. Any mechanical pre-filter must be on the intake side of the pump. A perimeter-installed skimmer would be the recommended solution. This would require retrofitting and attaching it to the liner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ugh. The pond does not have a liner, it is concrete. The only thing on the side, that I have noticed, is supposedly the overflow drain. I guess there is no way to use current submersible pump and rig it to work with skimmer?
I am attaching a photo showing part of the external pump used for the waterfall. There is enough exposed pipe, before going into pump, that I could install an above ground pre-filter, if there is such a thing.
I am also attaching a photo of the construction of the pond. In the picture it shows three circular holes, connected 90° to each other. Since the only bottom drain I know of would be the one closest to you at bottom when looking at picture, what would the others be? I have tried to see if there are more bottom drains, but haven't found any.
img20170516_220436.jpg
signal-2017-03-17-181407.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the attached picture, top right, there is a part of a bluish fish tail showing, that is on top of rocks for waterfall. Under these rocks, in the shadows, above water line, would it be possible that a skimmer would be under the rock ledge against the wall, out of site?
img20170626_203117.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Where is the intake for the external pump located. Since it already has a pre-filter (leaf basket), You may be able to just swap pumps and let the submersible power the waterfall and the external supply the pressurized filter.

Ask a Question