Backyard Pond in Detroit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi!

I'm in the planning stages of a pond I'd like to start NEXT YEAR since this season will be ending soon. I'll spend the winter accumulating supplies.

Very simply, I want a pond that will sustain fish until I'm ready to eat. I'll be digging it myself with a backhoe but It will probably be 4-6ft deep, 4-5ft wide, and about 15ft long. A fairly decent size, I think? I know this goes well beyond many kit sizes and the design is itself custom so I'm prepared to do the work that goes with that.

Being near the Detroit River and the many lakes we have around here, I'm hoping to be able to stock the pond with fish I catch. Obviously, I'd only stock the pond with a single species but I'd like to get out on the river early in the spring at the time of one of our big fish runs and catch a couple dozen or so, bring them home and keep them in the pond until time to eat :)

Ideally I'd be able to scoop a couple out with a net, prepare them and put them on the grill within minutes. I'm also putting in a chick coop and plan to feed the chicken guts to the fish and vice versa as I work through my seasonal cull.

Has anyone done this before? Does it sound possible?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sounds like it would be very difficult. Since this isn't a "show pond" and the fishes care goes down the drain since this is not a permanent one fish setup (so the fish are in there all the time).... Really all you would have to do is fill a hole with water and put fish in it, wait, done. What I don't get is why don't you just use a freezer or something? it is way more simpler than making a pond to stock fish (that you cant stock fish in, such as bass they require a very large pond, small lake) by themselves... And if you just feed the fish the chickens "guts" and such (I live on a farm and butcher as well) then they would have some deficiency's health wise... Depending on the type of fish you decide to keep that day. Think about supply and demand as well, you cannot (unless you own a huge chicken run) keep up with feeding the fish say once a day (or even once every 2 days) with chicken "guts" because then you would have no chickens. It takes about 20 weeks for a hen to begin laying, and for a rooster to kill its up to you... Just doesn't work out in the end.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This would only be remotely feasible if you only stocked Herbivorous or omnivorous fish. Carnivorous fish such as Bass, Crappie etc. require a functioning food chain where their natural prey is available,
A few thousand gallon pond is hardly of sufficient size to support this type of fish.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
lol that pretty much settles it for me! That's why you come ask the experts, it was an idea but not something I'm married to. I wanted to keep yellow perch which rely mostly on plankton as adolescents but adults will eat snails, etc, to which I figured a weekly serving of poultry entrails would suffice, the rest of the time feeding them from a supply store.

To answer the question, why not rely on frozen fish? No particular health/cost considerations here, I just like the idea of being able to go from fresh-to-table, even if its small scale and only done so occasionally through the summer, the satisfaction of knowing how my food got to the dinner table is enough for me. I'm already growing fresh veggies and some fruit (watermelon, but adding an apple tree next year, hopefully it'll be productive in a few years, at least enough to make a pie, lol).

I didn't want to deal with fingerlings, I would've liked to completely cull the pond by mid fall, before it starts really getting cold outside. And that's eating maybe three fish once or twice a month (for 6 months = 18 live fish).

But nevermind all that!!! I am still going to do a pond but without an aquaculture element to it, no need to be quite so deep. It'll just be lilies and maybe a frog or two :D

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
particular health/cost considerations here, I just like the idea of being able to go from fresh-to-table, even if its small scale and only done so occasionally through the summer, the satisfaction of knowing how my food got to the dinner table is enough for me. I'm already growing fresh veggies and some fruit (watermelon, but adding an apple tree next year, hopefully it'll be productive in a few years, at least enough to make a pie, lol).
I love the fact that you are trying to get into this stuff! Turn a backyard of grass into an edible garden or food forest, (we did a permaculture food forest!). I would say your best bet for getting something fresh to your table, if its close, just take a walk or bike ride (or drive) to the nearest pond or lake and go fishing, see what you catch, bring a cooler, pick the best one and let the rest go for next time. Make sure (if needed) your apple tree has a pollinator, or else it wont fruit. And pick ALL fruit and flowers off the first year!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Make sure (if needed) your apple tree has a pollinator, or else it wont fruit.

I have a single apple tree and it has fruit every year....or, did I misunderstand you?

I have an apple tree I "uncovered" on my property about 20 years ago when I was clearing the old field of overgrowth and trees. A local told me it is a very old variety...the fruit tastes like a combination of apples and bananas...and, he was right. Don't know the type of apple it is, but it tastes great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Dutch sad truth those of us living in city can not eat fish from local waters. Pollution makes fish unsafe to eat. I live only a couple of miles from Hudson river, while I will water ski on it no way would I eat anything out of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a single apple tree and it has fruit every year....or, did I misunderstand you?

I have an apple tree I "uncovered" on my property about 20 years ago when I was clearing the old field of overgrowth and trees. A local told me it is a very old variety...the fruit tastes like a combination of apples and bananas...and, he was right. Don't know the type of apple it is, but it tastes great!
Have you ever eaten a Paw Paw ? Native fruit taste like cross between mango and banana. I planted 6 trees last year after a friend sent me some fruit growing wild near her

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States

Most (I have never seen one that doesn't) apple trees require a pollinator apple tree, meaning another. Or else they will not fruit. As for a tree you have uncovered on your property, good find! and also there is another nearby most likely...
Here are some links for you to look at if you want:
https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/apple-tree-pollination
https://www.starkbros.com/growing-guide/article/the-importance-of-fruit-tree-pollination
https://www.orangepippintrees.com/articles/planting-growing/pollination-of-fruit-trees

As for paw paws ive never had one but I have seen many :) Cool little things, to bad I cant grow them where I live :( them and mandarins

Last edited:

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dutch sad truth those of us living in city can not eat fish from local waters. Pollution makes fish unsafe to eat. I live only a couple of miles from Hudson river, while I will water ski on it no way would I eat anything out of it.
hm... I don't know a way out of that other than to help the waters yourself by picking up trash (but will not have a "global" effect) around the waters and stuff if you come across it. That must suck though for the people who visit the Hudson river.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! A lily pond will be real nice also, the frogs will love it!

Ask a Question