bacteria, viruses, parasites and killers

SE18

David V
Reaction score
Hi, newbee here and enjoying the reads, especially native plants like watercress. In that particular post I read that if you get native stuff from the wilds, there could be harmful stuff. I don't have fish so it wouldn't be harmful except maybe to birds LOL, but I thought i might detoxify anyway.

Someone commented adding a drop or spoonful of bleech or something (I forgot) to a bucket of water and waiting a few minutes and then rinsing everything with fresh water before placement.

While walking the dogs I spotted some wild arrowhead I'd like to plant in my marsh and some watercress and stuff like that for the flowing canal

any tips or formulas for detox would be helpful and appreciated!

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would be bleach, I think it was 1/2 cup to a bucket, let the stuff soak. If you have no fish you may not need to worry about bugs etc on the plants.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If you don't have fish I wouldn't use any chemical at all, Just clean tap water and this will help in not shocking the plant as bad. wash it throughly, rinse and plant. I'm not a fan of using bleach at all with a pond however ther are some folks that use it sucssesfully with little or no problem( Use caution and if you do use it I would recommend rinsing in a bath or clean water with double doe of declorinator for the final rinse off, salt baths work very good, a strong dose of potassium permagate(sp?) will work too. Although the PP is not as easy to get and it needs to be handled with gloves as it is a strong disinfectant.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tend to agree, fishin, just rinse the plants well. most critters will come off with a rinse. And he has no fish.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
thanks! Do have the beagles, but while chasing rabbits they'll drink from anything when they're hot and thirsty and haven't seen em get sick yet; their stomachs must have an iron lining. Just ask any beagle owner who hunts.

In another year or so, after I complete work on my aqueduct and gain plants, I may try a native minnow or 2 (that live in that kind of water) and a bubbler dealy for winter, based on someone's suggestion

cheers

Dave

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Fishin; Potassium permanganate used to be widely available for aquarium use, but is now restricted. Apparently it is one of the ingredients used to make crack cocaine, or some such substance! John

Ask a Question