Bad bad koi! Digging up lilies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
In the past I put plastic fencing over my lily pots and zip tied them....don't know why I never thought to drill hole in the side to make it easier - LOL !

This year, I tried placing rocks on top of the kitty litter and played the same game as @cas ....probably back to fencing, with zip ties next year...but will drill hole in the side !!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@moby Not sure, but here a "dish pan" is a square or rectangular plastic pan about 12" or so by maybe 6" deep. You place it in the sink to wash dishes. Also, some of us use a pan called a "Wal-Mart oil pan," [because we buy them there, LOL!]. It's a round plastic pan about 12" diameter (pics below are not to scale with each other). Basically, Lily's don't need depth [like a flower pot] for their roots, but need horizontal growing room. This type of container is the ideal size and shape and the cost is WAY below what you'd pay for a branded "lily pot" or basket. I'm sure you have something similar.

Dish pan.....
image.jpeg

Wal-Mart oil pan......
image.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@moby Not sure, but here a "dish pan" is a square or rectangular plastic pan about 12" or so by maybe 6" deep. You place it in the sink to wash dishes. Also, some of us use a pan called a "Wal-Mart oil pan," [because we buy them there, LOL!]. It's a round plastic pan about 12" diameter (pics below are not to scale with each other). Basically, Lily's don't need depth [like a flower pot] for their roots, but need horizontal growing room. This type of container is the ideal size and shape and the cost is WAY below what you'd pay for a branded "lily pot" or basket. I'm sure you have something similar.

Dish pan.....
View attachment 94274

Wal-Mart oil pan......
View attachment 94275
This is what I used, only thing is, they are HEAVY aND no easy way to lift out of the pond as I keep having to do (repotting!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Jeanie master if it is the plant dirt, it will settle eventually. Like you said, getting in and stirring things up will make it take longer, but it will settle. You could try some koi clay - that acts as a flocculant (basically attaches itself to the floating particles and pulls them to the bottom) and may help clear the water. It's also really good for your fish! (I know... one more thing to learn about, right?!)
Is that bentonite?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Mmmmh, at least with the lily baskets we use the water drains out of the mesh sides and base lessening the weight when you lift them out!

Ask a Question