Bad Fish, Bad!!!

Reaction score
The wife and I were at the local pet shop looking for a sucker fish to try and clean up our pond, the store owner sold us 2 algae eater he called them. We had them in out pond for less than a week and one of our butterfly koi had it tail eaten off. If anyone could ID the fish in question I would greatly appreciate it.

FYI: The two fish in question have been removed from the pond as of yesterday pm.

Attachments

• IMG00206-20100423-2217.jpg
    IMG00206-20100423-2217.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG00207-20100423-2218.jpg
    IMG00207-20100423-2218.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 440
Reaction score
I don't recognize the fish, and no fish will remove green water. They guy at the petshop is a wing nut.

A pond can take 6 weeks to cycle. In that process it can turn green, clear, green, clear, etc.

Reaction score
It looks like a female Jack Dempsy, which is a cichlid. It is a very aggresive aquarium fish. The males are beautiful, but the famales are plain.

jackdempsey.jpg

Reaction score
This should further tell you that should NOT be going back to that pet shop. Can't believe someone sold you that to get rid of algae. I would take it back to him and leave it on his counter and tell him he needs to stop selling customers things without really knowing anything. Cichlids won't even be able to survive in a pond in the winter, as they are warm water fish from south america/africa typically. It is not right that this poor fish should die because of this person's incompetence.

Sorry, gambit, I am not getting crazy with you as you were just the bearer of incomptent pet store person. It blows my stack when people like this get into a business involving live animals where creatures can perish.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
This should further tell you that should NOT be going back to that pet shop. Can't believe someone sold you that to get rid of algae. I would take it back to him and leave it on his counter and tell him he needs to stop selling customers things without. Cichlids won't even be able to survive in a pond in the winter, as they are warm water fish from south america/africa typically. It is not right that this poor fish should die because of this person's incompetence.

Sorry, gambit, I am not getting crazy with you as you were just the bearer of incomptent pet store person. It blows my stack when people like this get into a business involving live animals where creatures can perish.

No problems keepr, Im looking for help here because i cant get any from local. As we have found out by my travels to the local fish store in my small town, I can't get help there, so i have turned to the forum and WOW, help I have gotten, and im happy with the help. Thanks so much.

Reaction score
we are eager to help you gambit. We'd like to see you succeed in this hobby.

Many of us here have many years of experience, and have had innumerable mishaps as we've learned. If we can help steer you around the mistakes we made, then you'll be better off.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
we are eager to help you gambit. We'd like to see you succeed in this hobby.

Many of us here have many years of experience, and have had innumerable mishaps as we've learned. If we can help steer you around the mistakes we made, then you'll be better off.

Very true, thanks i appreciate all the help from this forum.

DC1346

Culinary God
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The wife and I were at the local pet shop looking for a sucker fish to try and clean up our pond ...

Have you considered putting in a UV filter? They're really simple to use. You'll need a pump and some flexible PVC piping. The pipe runs from the pump to the filter. The UV filter kills the algae and presto ... no more green pond.

The water outtake from the filter can even be placed directly over the pond or you could build a waterfall. Depending upon the size of your pump, you could either have a trickling waterfall or a nice pouring cascade.

Ask a Question