Bad time for filter cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During mid summer I added an extra filter pad to my spillbox on the top of my waterfall which only lead to the grief of allowing a trickle of water to seap out over the back of the spillbox. Over a unknown period of time you could guess the rest but my question is having found the best combination of a single filter pad again but with some fibre meshing underneath and heaviesh small slates at the back, is it wise to clean the filter pad and replace the meshing now it is cooling down in autumn. My pond is very clear at present, though the string algae that seemed contained in a small area around a submerged planter container seems to have emerged elsewhere, some fairy stuff around many of the rocks and even on the fall. Should I risk cleaning the pad or just replace the mesh? Thanks 'v'

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
During mid summer I added an extra filter pad to my spillbox on the top of my waterfall which only lead to the grief of allowing a trickle of water to seap out over the back of the spillbox. Over a unknown period of time you could guess the rest but my question is having found the best combination of a single filter pad again but with some fibre meshing underneath and heaviesh small slates at the back, is it wise to clean the filter pad and replace the meshing now it is cooling down in autumn. My pond is very clear at present, though the string algae that seemed contained in a small area around a submerged planter container seems to have emerged elsewhere, some fairy stuff around many of the rocks and even on the fall. Should I risk cleaning the pad or just replace the mesh? Thanks 'v'
not to beat it to death, but that why the BFC doesn't have this issue; there are no pads to worry about. Addressing your situation; if your water is clear, which means no fines are running through the water column, you could just use the coarse version and not worry. There IS some bio filtering going on re the pads, so some benefit even if the fish slow down. When the temps get low enough to flip the water density (below 39 F), most of the bacteria will die and the fish won't be active and especially, you won't be feeding. Having any filter on at all isn't doing much at this point. You can then take out all the pads and just have some water movement, if desired.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not to beat it to death, but that why the BFC doesn't have this issue; there are no pads to worry about. Addressing your situation; if your water is clear, which means no fines are running through the water column, you could just use the coarse version and not worry. There IS some bio filtering going on re the pads, so some benefit even if the fish slow down. When the temps get low enough to flip the water density (below 39 F), most of the bacteria will die and the fish won't be active and especially, you won't be feeding. Having any filter on at all isn't doing much at this point. You can then take out all the pads and just have some water movement, if desired.
Thanks Broken Sword, in that case I will remove the filtering in a couple of weeks or so and just replace a single coarse pad. Presumably the beneficial bio load will pick up again as the water temp picks up again next spring.
Will the furr around the stone edgings die off too and return with avengence next spring, if so should I remove the bulky bit around the planter box or just leave it. I'm thinking I should reduce it down a bit at least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Broken Sword, in that case I will remove the filtering in a couple of weeks or so and just replace a single coarse pad. Presumably the beneficial bio load will pick up again as the water temp picks up again next spring.
Will the furr around the stone edgings die off too and return with avengence next spring, if so should I remove the bulky bit around the planter box or just leave it. I'm thinking I should reduce it down a bit at least.
be careful in the spring with feeding; the good bacteria will lag (in growth) behind the fish output. I generally let the fish nibble the algae growing on the underwater surfaces for a couple of weeks. Too, you shouldn't feed anything if the WATER temp is below 50 F.

You can remove the heaviest as you'll still leave residue behind that can grow back in. The type of algae covering all your underwater surfaces is the good type, so don't mess too much with it.

Btw, a bog and floating plants will help reduce algae by shade and out-competing it. I DO have algae that grows on my bog overflow wall (stacked stone) and every now and then, I hose it off and the fish take care of it. But since I don't feed heavily, much of my UW surfaces are kept short as the fish are constantly nibbling at it.

Ask a Question