BagsPond Update 2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Oh boy! Rocks were delivered yesterday. Liner and underlay arrived also!

It is so tempting to just dive in and get started on the fun, creative part!!!!! (Placing the rocks.)

I am going to force myself to really scrutinize the excavation and be sure it's exactly right.

But once it is, I'm ready to go!!!!!!

Tomorrow the plan is to finish the trench and bury the pipe between the skimmer and waterfall. I need to overdig the outer edges so I'll have a little more wiggle room when placing coping stones (I can shove the dirt around to match the shape of the stones, rather than forcing the stones to fit the shape of the excavation.) I need to tamp everything down nice and solid on the hill around the falls. I'll also make sure the shelves are level from side to side.

Oh. First -- I need to pick up the 12 million acorns that have fallen in and around the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
acorns may cause a problem with water quality once your pond is done .So you may need to thnk about netting before next year
Addy mentioned this to me too -- it was one of those Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moments! I thought about leaves and took care of that with the skimmer. But those skinkin' acorns! Arrrggghhhhh! We have oak trees everywhere, so there is no escaping them.
I think you are right -- that come September, my pond will need a net!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even leaves can block a skimmer if there are to many .I saw a couple of video's on you tube where ponds were almost emptied out because of leaves .Even the automatic refill could not keep up putting water back in the pond .I am getting acorns but they are in the woods behind my house and are a nightmare so I feel for you .They hurt bare feet .But they sound cool when lawn mower runs over them ,crunch crunch .;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Even leaves can block a skimmer if there are to many .I saw a couple of video's on you tube where ponds were almost emptied out because of leaves .Even the automatic refill could not keep up putting water back in the pond .I am getting acorns but they are in the woods behind my house and are a nightmare so I feel for you .They hurt bare feet .But they sound cool when lawn mower runs over them ,crunch crunch .;)
Years ago, there was a very old, thin, Asian man who would walk the neighborhood and pick up acorns in a plastic grocery bag. I always wondered if he was collecting them for crafts? Or cooking? Someone told me you can cook and dry them, then use them to make flour or something. He has probably passed away by now. I wish I'd see him again. I could give him a dump truck full! :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Addy mentioned this to me too -- it was one of those Homer Simpson "D'oh!" moments! I thought about leaves and took care of that with the skimmer. But those skinkin' acorns! Arrrggghhhhh! We have oak trees everywhere, so there is no escaping them.
I think you are right -- that come September, my pond will need a net!

Had acorns from a very large and very old Oak tree dump acorns in my pond every year. Never a problem with water quality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here are a few pictures. My birthday present was the rocks! I'm lining the pond with the small river rocks. The boulders will build the waterfall and will be the coping stones. There is another partial pallet of boulders that didn't fit on that part of the yard. I finally found a nice scrap of corrugated culvert pipe to use as my fish cave. I carved out a spot in the shelf/step and it fits nicely. I will have to cut to length, obviously, but when it is rocked around and topped with gravel, it will be nearly invisible. Today I buried the pipe between skimmer and waterfall and "overdug" the pond edges. Now I am soooo tired.

Attachments

• pond rocks.jpg
    pond rocks.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 270
  • pond fish cave far.jpg
    pond fish cave far.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 261
  • pond fish cave close.jpg
    pond fish cave close.jpg
    280.1 KB · Views: 257
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Today I emptied about 3 buckets of acorns out of the pond hole -- but I think that is probably the last of them. I used the underlayment (which is same msmt as the liner) and opened it up to test for size. I had a good bit to spare (even with wanting extra around the perimeter) so I cut back a shelf for a little more water volume. Of course, this equalled a full wheelbarrow full of clay. Still, worth the work, I think.

I went to Lowe's to look for milky spore. THey didn't have any. But I got to thinking, wouldn't I only be able to use on the flat surfaces? If it is a powder, I don't think it would cling to the walls. I looked at roofing felt. It was inexpensive, but I could tear it easily with my fingers. I'm thinking a chipmunk could chew through that in a heartbeat. It seems that the only chipmunk proof thing would be formed hardware cloth -- with that, I'd be scared of a pokey part making a hole in the liner! It this point, I'm inclined to just use the underlay and liner and hope that my neighbor's cats continue to enjoy hunting. Since she started letting them out, the only chipmunk I've seen was being tortured. :(

Sissy, did you have a way to make the milky spore cling to the walls? If so, I might use it.

I saw a can of Flex Seal and sort of cracked up. The commercials are so funny! Then again... maybe a chipmunk wouldn't bother to chew through that. But Lord, how many cans would I need????? About 30! LOL

Ask a Question