sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep no rain here and my yard is like a rock and when the rain does com it can be bad if it is a heavy rain ,all run off no help .Need slow steady rain to seep in .The dry beds I have really help with water flow and help to retain some of the water and also slow it down .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I got the liner in yesterday! Need to fuss with it today and get it pleated and pulled just right!

Trick-of-the-Trade: Remove liner wrinkles while filling the pond. The weight of the water will hold the liner in place. Just work your way around the pond and upward as it fills.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm lining the walls with rock, a la Eric Triplett The Pond Digger. It was SO FUN! I have more to do, but it was definitely a more creative and entertaining part of the process. When I get pictures out of the camera, I will share some.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bagsmom When I was "sculpting" my re-done hole a couple of years ago, I was having a lot of trouble with clay-slump [IOW, the clay was either getting too hard and cracking/falling apart, or was too soft and was slumping]. I came up with the idea of making "mud-crete" as a way to hold the soil in place until I could get the liner installed [I also built a collar, so basically the walls were stable]. I mixed Portland cement with mud [and I think I added sand, too], mixed it well, then used it to plaster over the uncooperative parts. It wasn't intended as a structural fix. But once it dried, it did hold the walls in place until the liner went in. Won't help you, but might give you or others ideas in similar, future situations.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm lining the walls with rock, a la Eric Triplett The Pond Digger. It was SO FUN! I have more to do, but it was definitely a more creative and entertaining part of the process. When I get pictures out of the camera, I will share some.
I think placing the rocks was my favorite part! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@bagsmom When I was "sculpting" my re-done hole a couple of years ago, I was having a lot of trouble with clay-slump [IOW, the clay was either getting too hard and cracking/falling apart, or was too soft and was slumping]. I came up with the idea of making "mud-crete" as a way to hold the soil in place until I could get the liner installed [I also built a collar, so basically the walls were stable]. I mixed Portland cement with mud [and I think I added sand, too], mixed it well, then used it to plaster over the uncooperative parts. It wasn't intended as a structural fix. But once it dried, it did hold the walls in place until the liner went in. Won't help you, but might give you or others ideas in similar, future situations.
That is a great idea!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
OK folks -- here are a few pictures of the progress so far...

Attachments

• pond shelf wall.jpg
    pond shelf wall.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 216
  • pond cave.jpg
    pond cave.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 187
  • pond liner.jpg
    pond liner.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 214
  • pond skimmer.jpg
    pond skimmer.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 232

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember those rocks now look nice but muck will cover them .I tried rocks when I first built and they were a nightmare and removed them after 2 years of ugly black muck covered them and made the pond look terrible .All my work and more work to remove them .Sad to say but had to say it .You need to get used to it .Don't want to offend you but I think a few of us on here have done the same thing .I know your OCD also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm still going for it! I really like the look of a rocked pond. I am not offended at all and you can feel totally free to say "I told you so" when I'm griping about muck. This look is part of why I want the pond. I know they will get a biofilm on them and I'm ok with that. I am having a lot of fun putting in the rocks, so even if I end up not liking them, I've still had big fun building my walls! ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got a told you so with my rocks :);)That is why I mentioned it .I tried to keep them looking nice but failed .Some use the pond vacs to keep them looking better .I have seen lots of posts on here in the past even complaining about the muck on there waterfall rocks and wanting them clean like when they put them in .Muck is the good stuff but some try to fight it and all that happens is they get ugly pond water color and unhealthy fish .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Remember those rocks now look nice but muck will cover them .I tried rocks when I first built and they were a nightmare and removed them after 2 years of ugly black muck covered them and made the pond look terrible .All my work and more work to remove them .Sad to say but had to say it .You need to get used to it .Don't want to offend you but I think a few of us on here have done the same thing .I know your OCD also
The rocks also displace water, so you'll actually have less water in the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Ignore the naysayers, If you have proper filtration and flow rate and practice good pond husbandry you will have little in muck accumulation on the rocks OR the bottom of your pond. The rocks will provide for lots of periphyton growth which only supports the overall health of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got a told you so with my rocks :);)That is why I mentioned it .I tried to keep them looking nice but failed .Some use the pond vacs to keep them looking better .I have seen lots of posts on here in the past even complaining about the muck on there waterfall rocks and wanting them clean like when they put them in .Muck is the good stuff but some try to fight it and all that happens is they get ugly pond water color and unhealthy fish .
My OCD only comes out with goofy stuff. Like making a creative project just right (initially) -- or safety -- or having a pantry full of food for the winter (as if we are in Alaska and can't get to a store.) Like I said -- goofy! Right now, I am trying to switch out the clothes to fall and winter. I am freaking out because there is just so much junk in there. I want to have it look all nice and organized for the start of the season. (Why? Who cares?) If only I could be obsessive about cleanliness and maintenance. I'm not!!!!!! I wish I were!

But I really am wanting to embrace nature with this pond. I will be ok when the rocks get gunky. That's part of the process. I'm not going to have a thick layer of rocks in the bottom -- just a thin "coating" of egg rock. I'm a huge fan of The Pond Digger, so I am giving his method of making a fish pond a try. I watched his tutorial on cleaning one and it actually looks very satisfying. Pump out from the low end and gently hose off any excess accumulation of crud. No scrubbing. Sure, when I'm 70 and trying to wear my waders and do that, it might be tough! LOL But for now, I'm giving it a go!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think we all see that first hint of snow and bread and milk wiped out .:ROFLMAO:I have been a fan also of Eric and have talked to him a couple of times on the phone ,well until billie jean ,(his wifes goat ) kept making noise .Had to laugh when he told me his wife puts her in the front seat of the car and brings her to the pond store .The people just love her .His daughter is the sweetest

Ask a Question