Bagspond update for April

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Today I went to a very fun pond store in a nearby town. The store itself is in an old Victorian cottage. The different rooms have equipment, fish food, bird food, pond decorations, windchimes, pond chemicals and additives, etc. In the backyard, they have big pools of fish! I have my eye on some sarrassas (probably spelled that wrong) and shubunkins. They are in quarantine for a couple of weeks, though.

I bought some water hyacinth and a horsetail reed plant -- and got two more goldfish -- these guys are about 5 inches long and bright white and orange.

You might assume I've been watching them enjoy their new home. Nope.

They were all freaky-deeky nervous and hid under the coping stones. Then they got brave enough to venture forth and haven't been seen again. I'm pretty sure my fish cave has some sort of wormhole through time or space. They go in there and just disappear. There are 6 fish in the pond now. The two new bigger guys, and 4 tiny ones. I've ordered some micro-pellets and a floating thingy that will keep the food from drifting and getting sucked into the skimmer. I hope that will tempt them to the surface so they can get a little friendlier.

There is a lot of algae in there -- so I know they aren't hungry. I watched a couple of bugs land on the water's surface and thought a fish might come up for a snack -- but nope.

I wonder what I can do to help them be less shy?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have big plans for some more plants! ;)

I keep wondering about them dying, too. But nothing shows up in the skimmer and I've not seen any floating corpses. I think they are all in there -- down in the cave, messing with me! :)

Ask a Question