Bagspond update for June

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well, the plants are now officially happy! I think all they needed was some warmer water and some more fish poo.

The elephant ears in front of the porch are not in the water, but I included them because they are 6 feet tall! I took a picture - maybe the first one -- that shows how tall everything is -- and how much privacy the plants give!!!!

Picture 4269 shows the separate lotus pool. The little wabasabi tuber delivered! Those leaves are huge and much taller than I am! There is a blossom that I can't wait to see open!

I had another lotus open in the pond. A gorgeous pink -- First Lady, if I'm remembering right. Unfortunately, I'm waiting to see if I've killed it. There was a humongous, brown, gross-looking leaf on the surface. I thought surely it would be ok to cut it since it was obviously past dead. And this was a leaf on the water, not one of the aerial ones. When I cut it, a bunch of bubbles came out of the stem, dang it. I'm hoping I haven't flooded and drowned the tuber. We will have to see what happens.

But the fish are all very happy!

Attachments

• IMG_4270.JPG
    IMG_4270.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4269.JPG
    IMG_4269.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_4264.JPG
    IMG_4264.JPG
    343.7 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 219

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice.

I totally ignore my lotus, leaves, flower stems etc until they do the die back in the fall. Then I cut them off, since the stems are rotted and falling apart.

But it does not bother me what the leaves look like. Ugly, pretty, green, brown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Very nice.

I totally ignore my lotus, leaves, flower stems etc until they do the die back in the fall. Then I cut them off, since the stems are rotted and falling apart.

But it does not bother me what the leaves look like. Ugly, pretty, green, brown.

If the pond were bigger and leaves didn't take up such an expanse, it wouldn't bother me so much. But the leaves are soooo big -- which I do like. I have learned my lesson.
(Makes me think of the California water conservation rhyme about flushing the toilet: if it's yellow let it mellow -- if it's brown, flush it down. What could the pond equivalent be? Leaves of green; really keen! Leaves are cruddy; they're still your buddy!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
LOL hey I found your bucket in pic 3 right next to the gazing ball .I love how lush it all looks and the elephant ears look great and that lotus is so pretty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
LOL hey I found your bucket in pic 3 right next to the gazing ball .I love how lush it all looks and the elephant ears look great and that lotus is so pretty
I know -- my husband said -- oh gross, don't show them your trash pile over there! But I wanted to show the big archway made by the abelia bush. It's kind of cool. That leads to the dry creek and the birdfeeders. The birds will come flying in FAST and swoop down low over the pond and under the archway to the birdseed! It's fun to see -- but a little surprising sometimes! They've come pretty close to my head!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I always misplace my buckets ,I think the gnomes I have are moving them just to keep me on my toes :LOL:
The gnomes take my clippers. There must be a dozen of them lying here and there under the plants and mulch! :)

Ask a Question