BagsPond update

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Since I am bagsmom, I thought I should call the pond bagspond.

Update -- drumroll -- nothing accomplished! LOL Actually, all my equipment did come in! That was very exciting. The waterfall filter is just ginormous. When my kids were little, they would have wanted to sit in it. I had hoped to plumb and place it, so I could begin digging this week, but I'm going to have to be patient for a few days longer. After thinking about where we wanted everything to go, and where we wanted the cleanout drain at the bottom of the waterfall to empty, we realized we needed more flexible PVC. (Hop online and order.) Then in looking at all the fittings sent with the stuff, we decided we wanted a couple of 90 degree elbows and a couple of adapters that neither Home Depot nor Lowe's had. (Of course. Hop online again.) So, until that stuff comes in, I'm on hold a bit.

In the meantime, here is a question for everyone. Turtle Mom, you are in my same zone. Someone else is in North Ga, I think. I am wondering, given the time of year we are in, does it make sense to fill the pond and run it through the winter? Should I fill and run it -- but hold off on plants? What sort of plants will survive? Do I get fish? Or wait till spring? I am guessing I will be done in late November. We will have our first frost around that time. We are not ever guaranteed a hard freeze, but some years we have them. The pond site is sheltered and in sun, so that will make a difference, too.

Hoping you've all had a nice weekend! We got buckets of rain today, which was an absolute blessing! We are in a major drought!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Do I need some sort of creature in there to get everything cycling? I need to go back and read about it, but I was thinking the waste from the fish is what will begin the process.

I don't know why I was thinking we were in the same zone -- Oh wait -- I know -- the similarity between us was the crazy clay soil, not the zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
This cracks me up! We have a very walker-friendly neighborhood. I can just imagine me sending my husband out to pee in the pond, and him waving at the neighbors.

Kinda like Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation. "$hi_ter's full!"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do I need some sort of creature in there to get everything cycling? I need to go back and read about it, but I was thinking the waste from the fish is what will begin the process.

I don't know why I was thinking we were in the same zone -- Oh wait -- I know -- the similarity between us was the crazy clay soil, not the zone.
When you are ready to add fish, yes you will need something to begin the cycling process. But it you don't add fish until spring, this is something that can wait. And it is a slow [several weeks] process -- so if you have the pond up & running in the spring, add a couple of fish and monitor your water parameters. Add additional fish as your levels show that you don't have an overload of ammonia/nitrites. Many of the beneficial bacteria that actually do the bio-conversion, aren't going to survive the winter. However, you could add fish now -- just keep in mind that winter is stressful for fish. If it was me, I would wait.

EDIT: Then spend the winter enjoying your work, and looking for / planning for any tweaking that needs to be done. For example, in ponding, the question is never IF YOUR POND WILL LEAK, but rather WHEN YOUR POND WILL LEAK! This would be a good time to observe things and make changes. It's a lot easier to fix a problem if you don't have fish in the pond to worry about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Many things to ponder. I wonder if it is still looking like a mild winter, I could put in just two very small fish. A friend has a pond and she is wanting to adopt some out. So they are fish that are used to being in a pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Many things to ponder. I wonder if it is still looking like a mild winter, I could put in just two very small fish. A friend has a pond and she is wanting to adopt some out. So they are fish that are used to being in a pond.
You could do that. As to the weather, I've been checking as many long-range forecasts as I can, because I'm anxious to know what the recreational snow predictions are for CO in the 2016-2017 season. I'll have to go back and glance at that. I vaguely recall something about cold & wet in the east, warm & wet in the south, dry and warm in the west.......

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If it was my pond I would add a few fish from the friends pond. There will be a lot of water for them to be in.

Check the water ph etc, I killed off a lot of starter fish when I added them to my new big pond. Our well ph is 5.4-5.5 poor fish I killed almost all of them not knowing that.

I did find 5 the next spring that survived the acidic water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
You could do that. As to the weather, I've been checking as many long-range forecasts as I can, because I'm anxious to know what the recreational snow predictions are for CO in the 2016-2017 season. I'll have to go back and glance at that. I vaguely recall something about cold & wet in the east, warm & wet in the south, dry and warm in the west.......
Do you vacation in CO for the winter?
If we have a warm winter in GA, I will be grouchy. (But I will at least be able to look on the bright side -- that it will be easier on the pond!)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@bagsmom We go to either CO or UT, but mostly to CO. We get to ski for one whole week a year! But, this year/season coming up, we were able to book 2 separate ski trips for the first time ever! My hubby has a partner who recently bought a condo in Steamboat Springs. Last season [March this year] we were able to book it -- and for friends & family he only charges whatever the "association fees" are. Now, waiting for airfares to get more reasonable......

I don't like our winters here at all. I have coats & jackets hanging in the closet that haven't been worn in years because it hasn't been cold enough for them. And when it does get cold, it's a wet cold, and miserable. Then, after a couple days of that, temps go up. Weeds never die.

This might give some info on the weather predictions. It all has to do with how the El Nina develops and whether she's going to be a mild one or not. http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/us-la-nina-forecast-fall-winter-2016-2017/58306249

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Fill the pond. I had my pond filled and empty until the next spring. But did have plants going.

I have heard that whizzing in the pond works, not sure how much whizz is good though. @Meyer Jordan

What am I now? The resident piss-ant?:D:D

Urine does contain Ammonia, but it is in the form of Urea which cannot be used by most bacteria, plants or algae. But one of the bacteria that can oxidize urea is Nitrospira, the recently discovered workhorse of the aquatic Nitrogen cycle. So, the answer is Yes, whizzing in a pond will help kick-start the establishment of the nitrifying bacteria colonies.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States

Doesn't matter, all of the biologicals are going dormant or dying over the winter and will have to cycle up in the spring. I'd lean toward waiting until spring, get your plantings situated, and be sure the water currents help keep your surface clear, then worry about fish later in the spring.
Throwing a 1/4 cup of Ammonia, in the water will jump-start the bacteria after you water temps hit about 40F

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Doesn't matter, all of the biologicals are going dormant or dying over the winter and will have to cycle up in the spring.

Depends on geographical location. In Minnesota this is very true, but in Florida there is no period of biological slowdown or dormancy. In the South a new pond can be cycled at any time of the year. Entirely temperature dependent.

Ask a Question