Bakki acting as a foam fractionator

Reaction score
IF I have a bakki with 10,000gph running through it and then gravity feeding a pond, how can I attach a device for capturing the foam? I am assuming the bakki creates foam and I could collect it somehow and not have to build a separate foam fractionator on a separate pump? thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think you have to much flow . Bakki from what I have seen seem to be a trickle . My thoughts will let the experts chime in but pics would help.

Reaction score
I think you have to much flow . Bakki from what I have seen seem to be a trickle . My thoughts will let the experts chime in but pics would help.

thanks, no pictures yet, its all getting planned. flow rates that high do go through large bakkiies. this will be for a 25,000 gal pond. I have been told by high desert koi that very large flow is wanted for a bakki. I have heard foam should form but didn't know if anyone has ever tried extracting it somehow

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
thanks, no pictures yet, its all getting planned. flow rates that high do go through large bakkiies. this will be for a 25,000 gal pond. I have been told by high desert koi that very large flow is wanted for a bakki. I have heard foam should form but didn't know if anyone has ever tried extracting it somehow

I have watched you tubes on them as I am. Getting ideals for my upgraded pond. They seem to be in the 1,200gph range or so based on what I see. Definitely not a 10k gph

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Never tried a protein skimmer on a pond. I know most saltwater designed skimmers don't work on freshwater, due to the different densities and the larger bubbles in freshwater, which attract less DOC's than the finer bubbles in saltwater. That being said I have seen some that DIY protein skimmers for their freshwater ponds, that according to them were effective.

Agree a pic of the setup would be helpful to come up with some DIY ideas.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
IF I have a bakki with 10,000gph running through it and then gravity feeding a pond, how can I attach a device for capturing the foam? I am assuming the bakki creates foam and I could collect it somehow and not have to build a separate foam fractionator on a separate pump? thanks

Since each device works on completely different principles a Bakki shower can not be effectively used as a substitute for a Protein Skimmer) Foam Fractionator.
Why would you need a separate pump?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I can only imagine you pond/tank Monterey Bay scale aquarium is amazing and would really like to see some pictures.
I am way out of my depth but this YouTube'er seems to have a handle on large Koi ponds, bakki showers, and turning his entire flat into one very large multi-story Koi aquarium.

Maybe the "river" is the protein remover?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I can only imagine you pond/tank Monterey Bay scale aquarium is amazing and would really like to see some pictures.
I am way out of my depth but this YouTube'er seems to have a handle on large Koi ponds, bakki showers, and turning his entire flat into one very large multi-story Koi aquarium.

Maybe the "river" is the protein remover?

seen alot of his vids. among others who have done dyi bakki and i have never seen (based on visuals and sound only ) a 10,000gph flow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Protein levels can fluctuate under normal circumstances.
I don't see the need for a protein skimmer in a fw environment, unless a person likes that kind of thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Protein levels can fluctuate under normal circumstances.
I don't see the need for a protein skimmer in a fw environment, unless a person likes that kind of thing.
I built a phoam phraxonator and honestly I'm amazed at how much it pulls out of my pond water. I figure any DOCs it pulls out of the water are DOCs the biofilter doesn't have to deal with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Basically you could place a divider that would cause the water to outlet below the water level and outlet the foam from above the water level.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Never understood the "Hullabaloo" about DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon). Other than maybe aesthetic consideration, it is completely harmless to any living creature In fact, it is a primary food source for many planktonic organisms.
Any instance of foaming in a pond will fairly quickly dissipate as the bacteria have it for lunch In ponds with chronic foaming then it should be approached in much the same way as high Nitrate and algae blooms. Quit overfeeding and/or reduce the fish population.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I built a phoam phraxonator and honestly I'm amazed at how much it pulls out of my pond water. I figure any DOCs it pulls out of the water are DOCs the biofilter doesn't have to deal with.
Yep, it's interesting to observe and learn about.
It's also interesting to learn how DOC's are eventually consumed by bacteria and other organisms, given a well circulated and well oxygenated environment.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Yep, it's interesting to observe and learn about.
It's also interesting to learn how DOC's are eventually consumed by bacteria and other organisms, given a well circulated and well oxygenated environment.

Just a normal part of the aquatic food web.

Ask a Question