Ball valve/tubing question

Reaction score
Country
United States
After building pond and hooking everything up, the power of the pump was too great for the filter, which overflowed. I read that I can put a ball valve on the tubing to reduce the flow. I have 1 1/2" flexible pvc tubing. I bought a pvc slip to slip 1 1/2" ball valve. The outer opening of the valve is much bigger than the tubing, and the smaller inside part of the valve is too small to fit the tubing. What am I missing? I get that the tubing is measured at "inside diameter", but I thought the ball valve of same size would accommodate it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1594420404031.gif
@6ghokie

Reaction score
Country
United States
After building pond and hooking everything up, the power of the pump was too great for the filter, which overflowed. I read that I can put a ball valve on the tubing to reduce the flow. I have 1 1/2" flexible pvc tubing. I bought a pvc slip to slip 1 1/2" ball valve. The outer opening of the valve is much bigger than the tubing, and the smaller inside part of the valve is too small to fit the tubing. What am I missing? I get that the tubing is measured at "inside diameter", but I thought the ball valve of same size would accommodate it.
Okay, I'm an idiot. It's not pvc, it's the flexible corrugated pipe. Which explains why it doesn't match with slip ball valve. I guess what I need is two barb adapters with threads on the opposite side to connect to a threaded ball valve.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Okay, I'm an idiot. It's not pvc, it's the flexible corrugated pipe. Which explains why it doesn't match with slip ball valve. I guess what I need is two barb adapters with threads on the opposite side to connect to a threaded ball valve.
before you get too far along, it's been known that the corrugated type thin tubing doesn't last that long. Get the flex pvc and your valve will work as you want it to plus you'll have a greater peace of mind that the tubing won't develop a problem any time soon.

Also, you can add a 'Y' and take the unused flow to something like a water fall or just have it plunge back into your pond, creating more/better aeration. On my system, I have one lead going to my falls and one going to my prefilter. For even better efficiency, upsize using a reducer, the outlet port of your pump. For instance, mine was 1-1/2" outlet. I was told to put a 1-1/2 to 3 inch reducer right at the pump, then add a Y (3" and 1/2") to give me two leads. I downsized the 3" reducer lead then back to my needed 1-1/2 for the other line. This way, you actually get more flow from your pump (when you divide it).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
before you get too far along, it's been known that the corrugated type thin tubing doesn't last that long. Get the flex pvc and your valve will work as you want it to plus you'll have a greater peace of mind that the tubing won't develop a problem any time soon.

Also, you can add a 'Y' and take the unused flow to something like a water fall or just have it plunge back into your pond, creating more/better aeration. On my system, I have one lead going to my falls and one going to my prefilter. For even better efficiency, upsize using a reducer, the outlet port of your pump. For instance, mine was 1-1/2" outlet. I was told to put a 1-1/2 to 3 inch reducer right at the pump, then add a Y (3" and 1/2") to give me two leads. I downsized the 3" reducer lead then back to my needed 1-1/2 for the other line. This way, you actually get more flow from your pump (when you divide it).
Agree... schedule 40 flex pvc will be the last tubing you will ever have to buy, it fits all standard schedule 40 fittings and uses the same primer and glue.

I do however have my flex PVC connected to the ridgid PVC of my bog with a Fernco coupling. The Fernco offers a means of quick disconnect. I'll disconnect it when Winter comes. The bog will get shut down for Winter.

Ditto on adding a wye fitting instead of restricting your pump with a ball valve. I would use a ball valve on each branch of the wye for control.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

While I’ve never used flex PVC (but plan to in the future), I do agree that the black corrugated tubing isn’t the most reliable. If you do use it, I would suggest a clamp on each end fitting. Don’t remember what they’re called, but they are round. Also, have as much as possible of the corrugated tubing under water as opposed to going outside of the pond. The 2 times mine blew, I was fortunate to have them inside the pond, so other than a mess, I didn’t lose any water. I think some on here use “spa” hoses, which are corrugated, but tougher than the black tubing.

Also agree about putting in a Y to divert water to other features, and put a ball valve on each one so you can control them independently. I had one side going into my bio filter, and the other side going to a small bog.

Ask a Question