Ball valves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently I have a plastic double union ball valve on the outlet of my pond filter. I have to turn the handle whenever I want to drain water from the pond or flush the filter. Because it's plastic it's not very sturdy and pieces of the handle have broken which makes it nearly impossible to turn anymore. My husband is going to replace it for me but I would like a better quality valve this time so I don't have to deal with breaking plastic again. Looking at online pond stores for ball valves all I have come across are plastic. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use a brass or stainless steel valve?

Just for reference this is the filter I'm using and similar ball valve.

Screenshot_20190405-094423_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190405-094957_Chrome.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I went outside and took a picture of my broken valve handle. Excuse the mess, still haven't been able to get out and clean up. I want to get out soon and get the filter back up
20190405_100442.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cost would be the biggest consideration for metal valves. Also the handles can rust off and you would have the same problem. They are definitely easier to turn than plastic.

I have found directmaterial to be a good place to buy my 1/2 brass ball valves for irrigation. If you are looking for 2 inch valves a quick look indicates $30 for brass full port and $40 for stainless standard port, $80 for stainless full port. The brass valves have steel handles which rust over time. The stainless valves look like they have stainless handles which would likely last a very long time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have ball valves with heavy duty handles. I'll see if I can find a photo. But the best part is the handles are removable, so you can store them indoors where they aren't subject to the sun and weather, so they should last much, much longer.

Also, make sure when you replace your ball valve that you Vaseline it really well. No one told us that until our second go-around and WHAT a difference it makes!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just get my ball valves from lowes or a plumbing supply store .Best thing if they are exposed is to cover them .I use one of those insulated spigot covers for one I have on a outside tank

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Those are the same ones I have used. Had one freeze with water still in the line 2 years ago and it came apart. Much better than knife valves.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Had one freeze with water still in the line 2 years ago and it came apart.
I forgot to open and one when removing my external pump for the winter and it did freeze and crack. If you open the valve it does just fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here you go @bettasngoldfish - I was looking for one online and then just decided to run out and take a couple quick pictures. First one is with the handle removed:

img_1534-jpg.119580

Second with the handle installed:

IMG_1535.JPG

Someone who knows plumbing better than me can correct me on the name, but I think these are called "true union" - if the valve itself fails, we can just unscrew it from either or both sides and replace the valve - the part that's glued to the plumbing stays attached. That makes sense if you've ever had to cut your pipe to get a new valve in and worried you wouldn't have enough extra pipe. When we replaced this one for example we knew it would be the last chance before we would have to get creative with patching in some new flex PVC to give us more to work with.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The white ones I use have only one side a screw in. So far doing fine except the one I forgot to open the valve for the winter. It was not even on the pond. I had pulled the pump,that tiny bit of water in the ball valve froze and cracked the unit. Now I open every ball valve, part of my shut down list.

Ask a Question