Ballooning Sarasa Comet

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
My mom has a koi pond and one of her fish is not doing well. Over the past couple months a sarasa has ballooned. It hasn't slowed its pace. It's still pretty active. Eats its normal share if not more. It overall hasn't changed its routine or personality. There is no scale pine-coning.

I don't have any water condition measurements. The pond has been running for over 3 years. No other fish are effected.

She pulled it out and has it quarantined in a 5 gallon tank.

Any ideas? I will see about getting water readings.

I also have some pictures that I am waiting on approval for. I will post them asap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States

This fish vet, provides and excellent explanation of a female, being egg bound. Since you said there isn't any pine coning, it could be egg bound, or it could be a tumor. Since it's still active and eating, I hope it's not a tumor.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks promising. Is there a less invasive way to help her if she is egg bound? Should she go back into the pond if she is egg bound?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks promising. Is there a less invasive way to help her if she is egg bound? Should she go back into the pond if she is egg bound?
I haven't watched the video recently, but if I recall, put her back in the pond and wait for spring. Make sure that there is plenty of plant cover as the water temps start to rise in spring. And be sure there are some boy fish. Watch her closely for any changes.

Some people have had success at expressing the eggs with a gentle massage of the belly. But I choose to leave any kind of intervention, esp a medical intervention [like needle sticks] to those who have experience. You could look around and see if there is a fish-vet in your area. Or, see if there is a koi club near -- those people might have experience with egg-bound fish. Otherwise, wait and see.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally if this were my fish I would probably bring it in the house for the winter, add a heater (set at 78 degrees) and use epsom salt dosed at 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. Feed sparingly and make sure to have very clean (ammonia free) water. I would suggest using at least a ten gallon tank or better as it will help keep the water in better shape (and less water changes will have to be done)

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to have Prime on hand too so you can use it to help control ammonia (assuming you don't have a cycled tank already)

Also, I would not attempt to try and rid the fluid by hand as you can cause more damage (possibly even death) if it is done incorrectly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dave, Good to see you back on the forum

What are the names if the books by Dr Lohs?

The first is Fish Vwtting Essentials ISBN9780987157102 Authors Dr Richmond Loh Dr Matt Landos , the second book is calledFish Vetting Medicines formulary of fish treatments ISBN 9780987157119 Author Dr Richmond Loh [ a book a tad hard to follow at first until you realize it give you Problem , cure and amount to be used
They can only be bought direct from the following website nowhere else :-

http://www.thefishvet.com.au

Where you can contact the good DrRichmond Loh via email
I hope this helps you Maria what are we looking for early Chirstmas Present :ROFLMAO::LOL::):D:happy:(y)

Dave

Ask a Question