bamboo by pond

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
how close is a safe distance to plant a smaller type bamboo to the ponds edge... i,m in zone 5/6 so it will have to be a hardy breed too. and will it take over everything?

Reaction score
Bamboo is very invasive yes! Some type more than others. It sends runners underground, It would be a good idea to put a 6 to 8 inch deep barrier around it to keep it where you want it.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
what im considering is putting a couple behind my filter in the waterfall dirt mound,or just past it,but im concerned with it maybe lifting my filter out of ground (balance)or puncturing its wall,and maybe eventually the liner. so maybe if the runners are the case id better pass.
thanx

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
you can put it in a pot or bucket to keep it under control

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have my clumpers within a foot of the pond. When they start to spread or go the wrong direction, I harvest the growth and either transplant it or sell it to other ponders. I have a lot of locals that come here for both water and earthbound pond plants.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Here in the Philippines, bamboo is quite common. But the ones we use are what we consider as "ornamental bamboo". These are not used as construction materials but rather as a decorative ornament in gardens and of course, ponds. I'm not sure how many varieties are out there and I am not even familiar with the names but I commonly have seen three: The yellow bamboo, a miniature bamboo, and the one with "stumpy" segments. They are all great in the garden as well as by the pond. :icon_smile:

Ask a Question