BAMBOO -- everything you ever wanted to know....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Though not an aquatic plant, I put it under this topic since it comes up every once in a while with regard [especially] to its potential for piercing a pond liner. This article doesn't answer that question unequivocally, but it provides some good, helpful information for anyone who might want to incorporate bamboo into an aquatic [or otherwise] landscape.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/FAQ general.htm

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Even iris can puncture liners .Great water cleaner but I don't want it in my pond .I have taken clumps out that have pulled the liner out with it .I have even seen the clumping bamboo get out of hand and even (mini or whatever )cattails can if you don't root trim them .Maybe we should do something on here that lets others know about the dangers of some plants that can take over a pond .It can be horrible to have to pull an over grown plant out and find out how hard it can be .I had to root trim my black elephant ears I put in my pond filter less than a month ago and they are mini ones

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i only like eating bamboo. i wont put them on my land - never!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bamboo is edible?
bamboo shoot is. Some young bamboo, when cook, is tender enough to eat. You can cook sticky rice in bamboo (sticky rice has sweet coconut milk in it, yum.. makes me want to go back to Thailand now!!!) and there is this liner inside of the bamboo that's also edible.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Though not an aquatic plant, I put it under this topic since it comes up every once in a while with regard [especially] to its potential for piercing a pond liner. This article doesn't answer that question unequivocally, but it provides some good, helpful information for anyone who might want to incorporate bamboo into an aquatic [or otherwise] landscape.

http://www.bamboogarden.com/FAQ general.htm

From personal experience I can unequivocally state that Bamboo will easily puncture a pond liner even when protected by underlayment.
I had the task of completely rebuilding a stream because the owner unknowingly planted bamboo near (10 feet away) their pond. The leading edge of the growth bud (culm) is needle sharp and very sturdy.
29_pachymorph rhizome1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My neighbor (at the old house) planted bamboo and then rented the house to students. Bamboo ran over to my property and I couldnt do anything about it. The ranters couldnt do anything about it either. So I had to back breaking dig up 'EVERY CLUMPS' or root balls and trace them all over my yard. that's the only sure thing to get rid of it. But ofcourse, only work for a year. Next year we had MORE bamboo in our yard. When you cut / mow them, the stems are still sharp and poke up from the ground :mad:

Reaction score
Country
United States
bamboo shoot is. Some young bamboo, when cook, is tender enough to eat. You can cook sticky rice in bamboo (sticky rice has sweet coconut milk in it, yum.. makes me want to go back to Thailand now!!!) and there is this liner inside of the bamboo that's also edible.[/QUOTE

Interesting about the bamboo.

The sticky rice with coconut milk sounds yummy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Interesting about the bamboo.

The sticky rice with coconut milk sounds yummy.
It's super yummy :) it's very famous (hard to transport and not so good if frozen and reheat) so you can't really find it here. But if you've mango sticky rice before, the correct way to make sticky rice is with sweeten coconut milk too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have gardening friends who love bamboo. They work EXTREMELY hard to control the growth. Like never take your eyes off the stuff hard. No thanks. And I have no doubt it would run right through a pond liner - it's insatiable! And if not through, then over the edge where it would wreak havoc. Oh, man - bamboo is scary! Haha!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They have clumping varieties that are more controllable. I have none and are going to keep it that way.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had clumping in a pot and it broke the pot apart in just 3 weeks so I got rid of it .The garden center said it would not do that but it did and I was not taking any chances .Got it end of year sale in a pretty pot for 2 dollars .I wanted the pot more than the bamboo

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Compared to typical Bamboo the clumping varieties are, well,.....clumping. But that is comparative to the rampant growth of typical Bamboo. Clumping Bamboo can also be invasive, it only takes it longer to do so.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have some clumping bamboo. We bought 5 plants years ago, for the end of our pool. It took years for it to establish itself and only one survived, but it's getting big......wonder if I should rid myself of it :)

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
I have seen bambo grow out and bust out a brick planter,
The footing was,down a good 20 inchs and it slowly lifted it and cracked it like it was nothing.
So a walk way around a pool that is at most 4 inch thick woudint have a chance.

I have also seen where a neighbor planted next to his block wall and the stuff grew throuh a whipping seal and spread to the other yard. And starting doing damage to the wall.
It was a year or so when they called and the damage was pretty bad.
If you can a imagine a crack about 1/2 to 3/4 all the way up on a 6 foot wall and that was only a year.
Dont plant that stuff anywhere near things you like.
Ruben

Ask a Question