Bamboo over pvc

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I’m trying to figure out how to make my water returns look nicer than just krylon fusion. Has anyone seen or had any experience sleeving pvc pipe with bamboo for aesthetics? Also, the half rounds like they use for irrigation in Asia? It would seem the ID is much smaller than OD so for instance I’m guessing a 2” sched 40 would need a 3.5” OD bamboo… these would potentially be coming out of 2” slip/slip bulkheads on stock tanks.

The forum’s advice and experience very much appreciated.

Attachments

• EC3B4309-E7BD-420D-B524-526C41A9C0A9.jpeg
    EC3B4309-E7BD-420D-B524-526C41A9C0A9.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2C9917DB-728A-4294-9A36-C9EC5AB291B5.jpeg
    2C9917DB-728A-4294-9A36-C9EC5AB291B5.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've not seen anyone DIY it, but I've definitely seen small spitters that use bamboo for the spout - you mean like this?

aquascape-adjustable-pouring-bamboo-fountain-feature-1000__32826.1635946824.jpg

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
If you decide to use bamboo over pvc, you'll first need to cut out all the nodes from inside the bamboo. Japanese gardeners have special tools for this, as well as for splitting bamboo to go around pipes. But to get the nodes out, a straight piece of rebar works pretty well. It's much easier to work with green bamboo than it is the older yellow stuff, so if you can find someone who grows it locally and will allow you to cut your own, you'll have an easier time of it.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I did a DIY version of that bamboo fountain a while ago. I simply cut out the inside structure and put a smaller flexible pipe through the bamboo. It did only last 2 seasons however, after that the bamboo became very discolored.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not that this would help you, but I conducted some experiments a few years back. Unfortunately, I can’t find the pictures because my device ran out of cloud space……. I read as much as I could and watched YT videos.…many sites were actually either sites for making lifelike reptile enclosures, or sites for making props for plays, etc. The problem is in finding a “finish” that will be weatherproof. I never completed the experiment, but I did learn that DISTRESSING the PVC pipe as much as possible went a long way in creating a more natural look, and helped the finish adhere better. We’re talking Dremels, lots of sanding, and creating gouges, etc. There are PVC dyes or stains (I think they are dyes, rather than paints) that you can use. Again, it’s been a few years so I don’t recall specifics.

My inspiration was to have a border of vertical PVC pieces, side-by-side, pounded into the ground…..to simulate bamboo border about 10” tall. As far as I ever got was to distress several pieces of different diameters of PVC and “stain” them with purple PVC primer. They really looked good and lasted, well, forever…..but they were purple. It was just an experiment, but it worked amazingly well.

If the PVC pipe was sanded enough, maybe even Krylon would work. Using a rubbing technique, or even lightly spraying with a few different colors, you could achieve some depth and a look or realism. I made a trellis for our mailbox once, and spray painted it to look like old iron pipes using about 3 different paint colors. It eventually fell apart because I didn’t “glue” the pieces together, but the paint job held up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you decide to use bamboo over pvc, you'll first need to cut out all the nodes from inside the bamboo. Japanese gardeners have special tools for this, as well as for splitting bamboo to go around pipes. But to get the nodes out, a straight piece of rebar works pretty well. It's much easier to work with green bamboo than it is the older yellow stuff, so if you can find someone who grows it locally and will allow you to cut your own, you'll have an easier time of it.
Just come to my house and cut down all you want. Love bamboo but it's invasive and kills the yard. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you have bamboo up to 3.5" od ? that's some damn big stuff. not all bamboo is crazy invasive i believe black bamboo is not

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not that this would help you, but I conducted some experiments a few years back. Unfortunately, I can’t find the pictures because my device ran out of cloud space……. I read as much as I could and watched YT videos.…many sites were actually either sites for making lifelike reptile enclosures, or sites for making props for plays, etc. The problem is in finding a “finish” that will be weatherproof. I never completed the experiment, but I did learn that DISTRESSING the PVC pipe as much as possible went a long way in creating a more natural look, and helped the finish adhere better. We’re talking Dremels, lots of sanding, and creating gouges, etc. There are PVC dyes or stains (I think they are dyes, rather than paints) that you can use. Again, it’s been a few years so I don’t recall specifics.

My inspiration was to have a border of vertical PVC pieces, side-by-side, pounded into the ground…..to simulate bamboo border about 10” tall. As far as I ever got was to distress several pieces of different diameters of PVC and “stain” them with purple PVC primer. They really looked good and lasted, well, forever…..but they were purple. It was just an experiment, but it worked amazingly well.

If the PVC pipe was sanded enough, maybe even Krylon would work. Using a rubbing technique, or even lightly spraying with a few different colors, you could achieve some depth and a look or realism. I made a trellis for our mailbox once, and spray painted it to look like old iron pipes using about 3 different paint colors. It eventually fell apart because I didn’t “glue” the pieces together, but the paint job held up.
thank you, I did read that post with the pvc dye a while back. I like your Thinking on this… pvc is meant to have water and ground contact whereas bamboo will deteriorate. It is so crazy how expensive bamboo is online too. The pvc paint scratching I can see already is going to be a problem down the road. I need to show Your pvc thread around here where I am to get some more ideas flowing! :D

Ask a Question