Bamboo plants

B

Burd

I usually have a sprig of bamboo in water in my bath room , they usually turn to cap, anyone ever have good/ bad growing of these plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you talking about 'Lucky Bamboo' Dracaena sanderiana? If so, yes. It is very sensitive to chlorine so use dechlorinated water. Contrary to some advice, they actually need fertilizer. Gentle light is all they need. So indirect window light is sufficient. Your bathroom may not have enough light.

B

Burd

Yep. You buy it with roots on, ive got it out on my Baker rack for the summer, it gets morning light there’s, let’s see what it does.
should you keep the water clean or let it get green?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never let my water get green. Periodically change it and wipe out the bowl. Add fresh dechlorinated water and a little liquid fertilizer and away you go. On your Baker's Rack outside? I would make sure it does not get sunburned. Filtered sunlight is best.

B

Burd

Not sure what to do, 2 small shoots are new, larger died off while inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 47
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a single clump of Lucky Bamboo (Dracaena sanderiana) on my kitchen window sill for years in a ridiculously small container. It's literally the size of a small teacup. Still the stems stay over a foot tall and occasionally have need to be cut back. The plant get's indirect north light, frequent watering, and a splash of fertilizer when I fertilize my other houseplants. The roots are so dense in the pot that there is no visible water to be seen, green or otherwise.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's try to shield it with another plant or larger object so that it gets diffused lighting. Even an old piece of window screen will work. Is that an Arrowhead (Syngonium podophyllum) to the right? You can use it to shield your bamboo plant from direct light. Looking at the 'whiteish' base of the plant, it appears you have rather hard water. I would do this:
Shield it from direct sun lilght.
Change the water and use soft water...even distilled water if that is the only source of soft water.
Add a highly diluted liquid plant fertilizer. Look at the directions and use perhaps 1/4 strength of what the fertilizer box says to use.

B

Burd

From having it out side on the Baker rack for a few months this summer, it has like 5-6 new shoots on it

Ask a Question