Bamboo

Reaction score
I want to plant some bamboo at my cabin and I am trying to select the best bamboo for the conditions here.
I am in hardiness zone 5. Our minimum temperature is normally 0-10 F. We can get down to -10 F like this past winter and I have seen it as low as -20 but that is quite rare.

On the north side of my lot, there is 30-50% shade and the soil is mostly clay with some sand and dirt mixed in.
I was contemplating Phyllostachys aureosuculata bamboo for this area. It is a running type bamboo so I would have to install rhizome barriers to prevent them from spreading to unwanted areas. This variety grows to 30 feet with 2 inch culms and is cold hardy down to -10 F ($20 per #1 size plant = 1-3 ft). I think they sell these in a manner where you actually get several culms in one bucket and call that one plant.

Phyllostachys-aureosulcata.jpg

The west side of my property borders the Elkhorn River which flows north to south so you face the west when looking out over the river. The bank is steep and prone to errosion and is mostly sand, but I have applied many tons of concrete slabs along the shoreline to prevent and deter further errosion. You can no longer see the majority of the concrete as it is covered with silt from flooding and growth of natural vegetation (this was the result of my own engineering design when I laid the concrete slabs). Along this bank I want bamboo to help stabilize the upper layers of soil and sand behind the concrete slabs as a part of my errosion control project. The sun hits this area full strength during the early/mid afternoon to early evening hours (say 1-6 pm). Otherwise it is 75-90% shade. Here I was contemplating planting Phyllostachys atrovaginata which grows to 35 feet with 3 inch culms and is cold hardy down to -10 F. ($25 per #1 size plant). It is also a running type of bamboo so I will have to prevent it from spreading with a rhizome barrier.

Phylostachys atrovaginata.jpg

Along the southern border of my lot, there is a drainage ditch. It is only 2'-3' in depth, very gently sloped and rarely carries any water. It is planted with grass and I am able to mow it easily with a riding mower. It's purpose is to drain any flood or major rainwater away, so it is just an emergency gutter. The southern rim (bank) of this ditch is the lot line between my propterty and the neighbors. It is 85-95% shaded all day and is a mix of sand, clay and good topsoil. Here I want a nice privacy barrier. I really like my neighbors to my south, but I also like my privacy and I think they would like theirs too.

Here I am contemplating planting two clumping varieties. Clumping varieties don't invade or spread out like the running varieties do. The first one is called Fargesia nitida which grows 12'-15' with 3/4" culms. It is cold hardy down to -20 F.

Fagesia nitida.jpg

The second is Sasa oshidensis. The Sasa oshidensis grows 6' with 1/3" culms. It is cold hardy down to -10 F and has broader leaves. Between the two, I think this would make a dense barrier nearly from the ground up to 12 feet high.

Sasa oshidensis.jpg

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks, Gordy

Reaction score
Seems really well thought out.

Looks like it will all be beautiful.

Thank you Priscilla.

Do you have any bamboo growing on your place? Because of your climate I would percieve that you would have a greater luxury in choices of bamboo. My choices are limited here because of the cold winter temps, but I have found quite a few varieties which are adaptable. I have never grown bamboo before and I do not know anyone locally who has, so this is something new for me. I have been studying bamboo for a short while to gather the information that I need. I am just going to buy a few plants and just test them. Let's see how well they do. If they don't survive, I won't be out much. If they do survive, I hope I can keep the running ones in check! LOL

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Virginia is trying to ban the planting of bamboo because of the longer growing season the stuff is taking over and the foresters here want trees to grow so they can cut them down and make money .They just cut over 100 acres of trees down the road from me .Makes since huh .Grow it cut it and leave the mess behind

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Bamboo is very invasive and the barrier doesnt work well. We have barrier and the runners still get through... the runners are very strong and can go through concrete (or under it). My neighbor has them and I've been fighting the bamboo ever since. I had to dig up the roots and pull them out to be able to get rid of them in my yard, for a few months anyway then the runner started to peak through again. The only way to kill them is to dig the roots up.

I really against bamboo, sorry. Unless you have the type that you can eat the new shoots, that might help them spread some :) We Thai love bamboo shoots, yum.. but I wont it at my house as a plant!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your geographical location plays a big role in how invasive bamboo can be.

Warmer climates in the south and south east have a big problem with bamboo. It tends to be easier to control in colder, dryer climates.

I have two types of running bamboo planted PH, Decora, and PH Negra. I also have two clumping bamboos.

Running bamboo is taller and needs sun, clumping bamboo is smaller and needs shade. Clumping bamboo is not invasive.

I have a bamboo barrier around my grove of running bamboo, and still dig down every fall just in the inside of the barrier and remove any rhyzomes that have reached it.

Bamboo only shoots once a year, grows and stops (April - July). Those canes never get any taller. Each year the new canes will get progressively taller until they reach max height.

Rhyzomes grow only once a year as well, after the canes, normally from (August - October), which is why in late fall I cut out rhyzomes that have reached the barrier.

Other than removing rhyzomes once a year there is no other maintenance.

This company is simply amazing!
http://www.bamboogarden.com/
I took picture of the location where I wanted my running bamboo, provided a description of my high desert climate, including zone, first and last frost dates, average sunny days and average rain fall. I emailed them the information and they provided a wonderful recommendation of what would work well here. Then I ordered the bamboo through them and was very happy with what I received.

I also order my barrier from this company and the connecting bracket. I recommend only using what they sell as a barrier for the best control.

Here is some time lapse pictures of my bamboo. (max height on mine should be from 20-30 feet) as of last year they were about 8 feet.

Rather than looking for the pictures I am going to link to a thread I posted them in, on a bamboo forum.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bamboo/msg0118530613670.html?13

Note the hardiness zone of the bamboo on their website is how hard it is to remain ever green through the winter. The canes can survive slightly colder temps but the leaves turn yellow. The next year it drops it's yellow leaves when it grows new ones.

Reaction score
Nepen and Pecan,

Thanks for the information. And Pecan, I was also going through Bamboo Gardens for my bamboo research and selections,

The Bamboo Gardens recommends 80 mil HDPE barrier sheet that is 30 inches height for the larger, running Phyllostachys bamboo varieties. I am contemplating cutting the bottom out of several 55 gallon or larger HDPE drums and burying them as bamboo planters for the running types along my border to the north. Don't know if this will work or not.

The new culms of the P. atrovaginata are among the best tasting.

Gordy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Gordy it looks like you are already familiar with the bamboo garden. I learned everything I know about bamboo from them. :) keep us posted on the progress of your boo :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have the clumping variety. It actually didn't take hold as we'd anticipated and several died. The ones that have survived seem to be doing well, but haven't reached their full height yet.

Can the bamboo with runners be planted in large planters for decorative privacy, or will it freeze in the winter?

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have 2 clumps of Castillons (Phyllostachys bambusoides) and a clump of plain old black bamboo in bamboo barriers that extends 3 feet underground for many years now and the barrier hasn't failed.

I really like the Castillon as the variegation in the culm is very pretty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have the clumping variety. It actually didn't take hold as we'd anticipated and several died. The ones that have survived seem to be doing well, but haven't reached their full height yet.

Can the bamboo with runners be planted in large planters for decorative privacy, or will it freeze in the winter?

They don't do well in planters for long because their rhyzomes choke themselves out quickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Tula my clumping bamboo has also been very slow to grow. Maybe a 1/2 foot a year in height and that much in width. I transplanted one and it died. I think clumping bamboo is completely different than running bamboo. My running bamboo grew from the ground to 8' tall in about 2 months. The tallest ones were only 4' tall the year before. I am expecting about 5-10 feet more height out of them between the first of May and end of June. I am thinking 15-20 feet in total height.

Here one of is last spring. It didn't get much bigger than that last year. It has been in the ground for 4 years. Maybe twice as big as when I got it. I keep planting things in front of it so it gets more shade.
DSCN3569_zps30e5aa76.jpg

Ask a Question