Banded Shark?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There is a thread on them (about 2 months ago) , you may want to look it up. They get BIG, and are on the endangered list, so I wouldn't advise it! John
P.S. Under Fish and Koi Talk -August 16/11 - "My new fish".

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
John, I'll answer a little on the topic. It is endangered in the wild, BUT from what I have heard and read they are actually being raised in large #'s for food. and some are being rereleased to help keep populations going in Asia. The ones that are being made available are not suppose to be coming from wild stock. How do we know with certainty? I don't know. So I too recommend if your going to keep them do it right. They are schooling cold water fish, they do best in groups, they can get up to about 42" long and weigh upwards of 50# . They do eat algae and they don't get as tame as Koi but do get tame. They do not hold the banded pattern or high fin as adults. there is a live thread going on about # of Koi to a pond, I have read that a minimal size pond for one of these as a sub adult is 500-1000 gallons, so a school of 3-5 fish they would need a HUGE pond to be happy in. Just saying.

Ask a Question