Barb fittings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, RobAmy. I hate asking such basic questions but when I have people giving me conflicting information (with considerable authority), I feel the need to ask for advice here.

I'm thrilled that I got the bog about half filled today and should be able to finish it tomorrow! Yay! It's coming together!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thank you, T! Today didn't quite pan out as I had hoped. I went to town and did some fittings exchanges and got some pavers. When I got home, I had a go at the bog fittings (need to get this done before finishing moving in the gravel). Going from PVC to kink-free. Did the threaded end, but when it came to fitting the hose onto the barb end of the adaptor, no luck. I put the end of the hose in boiling water first but that made only a slight difference. From searching online and discovering I'm not the first person to have this problem, I gather there are three requirements or at least things that can help:
  • boiling water
  • lubricant
  • brawn
Seems like these procedures should be straightforward! My brawn is not arriving till tomorrow morning, so after trying unsuccessfully with heat and rounding up some vaseline, I put it aside till tomorrow. Meanwhile I did some work on the edging. My son is coming to visit on Monday and I am still hoping that it might be functioning by then!

P1020531.jpg

P1020532.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A small tourch moving fast around the pipe for a few seconds will let the barb push right in

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
For joining flex PVC to hard PVC, I use this union fitting if I want to be able to detach the two pipes in the future:

images.jpg
imgres.jpg

If I just want to join the two, permanently, I use a straight slip fitting:

images.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Oh my goodness, it is all working!!! I am so thrilled! I still have gravel to add to the bog and stone work to do and planting, of course, but the plumbing works! The boiling water, vaseline, and brawn combination managed the barb fittings just fine. (I still think there is a need for a decent industrial designer with this.) Tomorrow I will turn the pump off and let the stream dry out so I can foam around the spillway stone and a couple of other spots. And I'll top up the bog with the rest of the gravel.

I must say that truly, I could not have done this without the guidance of the mentors here on this forum. I am so grateful for the time and effort you put in to generously helping those who need it.

You can't really see the water moving in these pictures, but it is!
P1020540.jpg

P1020541.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thank you! I am so pleased because my son is coming tomorrow and the pond, bog, and stream are mostly done. At some point, maybe even this week, I'll have another go at foaming around the spillway rock. Most of the water is going under and around it now, but it it still lovely and sounds beautiful. I'm going to be buying some plants this week too so that is exciting. I'm just really thrilled with it all. It is so peaceful to just sit by it.

Ask a Question