j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just set mine in the bottom of the holy baskets and put rocks on some of the roots and am hoping the roots will grow through the bottom or sides of the baskets and attach themselves so I can then take out some of the rocks.

Reaction score
you don't they sort of start collection the pond muck around their roots, get food from the water and fish poo

bare root and freefloating are 2 different things... lillies are bare root 'planted'. instead of soil you put htem in a mesh pot and river rock or gravel. something that allows for water flow and direct contact between root and water. absolutely no need for fertilizing. thaey draw nutrients from the water. this helps keep cleaner healthier water. thays the whole purpose of it. you can just place a rhizone on the floor of pond and place a few nice coconut size stones around it to keep it down. let the roots grow and remove ammonias, nitrates, etc..from the water. freefloting plannts are water hyacinths, lettuce, frogbit, etc.. same idea. dont feed them , let them feed on the pond.

Thank you for the help guys, much appreciated.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just set mine in the bottom of the holy baskets and put rocks on some of the roots and am hoping the roots will grow through the bottom or sides of the baskets and attach themselves so I can then take out some of the rocks.

Where do you get the "holy baskets?" Maybe I can get our Priest to bless mine.....

(Just kidding, JW -- couldn't help myself :angelic: )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I tried growing some calla's in the pond last year. They seemed to take off well if I set the bulbs only partially submerged (about half out of the water), but if I put them fully in the water the bulbs started to rot. Unfortunately at this level, the bulbs were guaranteed to freeze over the Winter, so I thought maybe burying them in the dirt right up against the pond liner might be worth a shot (callas will not normally survive Winter in my area, so I was counting on heat from the water to prevent freezing). Unfortunately it looks like this experiment may have failed... So far I have seen no sign that any of the bulbs survived, however the weather has been questionable so maybe they're just waiting for the real heat before they pop up.

Crossing my fingers, but hope is fleeting.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried growing some calla's in the pond last year. They seemed to take off well if I set the bulbs only partially submerged (about half out of the water), but if I put them fully in the water the bulbs started to rot. Unfortunately at this level, the bulbs were guaranteed to freeze over the Winter, so I thought maybe burying them in the dirt right up against the pond liner might be worth a shot (callas will not normally survive Winter in my area, so I was counting on heat from the water to prevent freezing). Unfortunately it looks like this experiment may have failed... So far I have seen no sign that any of the bulbs survived, however the weather has been questionable so maybe they're just waiting for the real heat before they pop up.

Crossing my fingers, but hope is fleeting.
Sorry to hear that, and crossing my fingers for you! Sometimes you never know how how something will work out until you try it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Yeah that was the idea... My wife just loves callas, so I was really hoping I could use the heat from the pond to keep them from freezing. Honestly with the harsh Winter we all had, if even ONE of them comes back up this year I will consider it a success!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update on lilies, I have some bare root, some in a floating net, bare root, some in kitty litter

They all are slow this year but:

bare root barely growing
bare root in netting, barely growing, i.e. one leaf to surface
kitty litter a bunch of nice leaves to surface and some buds

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have mine all bare root so have nothing to compare them to here. To me they don't look like they are doing that great tho but time will tell. I will leave them this way for this Summer and perhaps next as I did just transplant them. Maybe it takes time. We shall see. I'll post up pix from time to time so you can see their progress.

IMG_5741.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine better not be chomping on my lilies. I've been feeding them each day now so they will lay off the plants :shifty:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The lily I have in a float in net is doing nada. The ones I overwintered in pots I worked on last fall are looking good. The ones I planted in oil pans in kitty litter from Addy, this spring, have hit the surface! Yeah:)

ashirley

Annie in SC
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have the ones that I got from Addy in floating planters. One has been in for two weeks and already has two pads on the surface. I hope they will do well because my fish tend to turn over pots and make a mess. I made the baskets large enough to accommodate them for awhile.

Ask a Question