Barely makes the water clear???

Reaction score
I have had my pond up and running for 4 days now. the water has been crystal clear. The pond store by house told me to add this sack of Barely pellets to keep the water clear. As a complete newb, of course I bought it and put it in this afternoon. I closed the sack up tight so none of the pellets could escape. I got home from work at 2:00am and my pond is now soooo cloudy I cant even see the bottom. Is this normal??? I'm kinda wishing I had never added these barely pellets now. Will this clear up soon? Or should I remove them, drain it and refill it? I wish I still had the box but it was trash day and it went out with all the other trash. All I know is that they were barely pellets and they were supposed to help keep the water clear, but so far they have done the exact opposite. AAARRRGGHHHH!

Reaction score
All the pellets are still in the bag. The water just went from clear to cloudy. Dont see any green. Should I remove the bag? Or will it clear?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and the pellets are notorious for turning water brown, but it goes away.. buy the extract its faster and no adverse coloration.

Reaction score
Extract huh? Wish they had told me about that at the store. I removed the bag of barley, never using that stuff again. I'll try the extract should I have the need in the future. Thanks for the info!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the thing about any barley products is that you start them off in the early spring when you open your pond. they are better at preventing than curing, and people always wait til theres a problem before incorperating them in their pond regimond. then wonder why they arent performing as well as could be.

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info. I drained my pond and refilled it. It's now crystal clear again. I'll treat it for algae tomorrow so I hopefully dont run into any more problems.

Ask a Question