Barley! Does it really work?

Reaction score
Hey there! This is my first post. Yea, I'm as green as they get!

Anyway, do these Barley Straw things really work? I don't have any free floating algae in my pond yet, but I may down the road and they say these things take 6 to 8 weeks to start working. Should I go ahead and order one now to be on the safe side?

Also, are the Barley Planters like the one below practical and a good idea?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12267&prodid=23926&catid=31

Thanks, Jimbo

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the Barley straw planters if you get them. It looks like a good thing to keep the root ball contained without dirt.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Keep us posted on the Barley straw planters if you get them. It looks like a good thing to keep the root ball contained without dirt.

Sure thing. I'll let you know how the Barley straw planter works out, but can anyone give me advice on whether this stuff really works and am I better off going with the Extract (rather than the Barley bundles)???

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It is quite possible that no one here knows anything about this stuff. In my 40 years of ponds, I have not heard of it before.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
It is quite possible that no one here knows anything about this stuff. In my 40 years of ponds, I have not heard of it before.

Well, I guess I'm going to give it a go then. It's not too terribly expensive or anything, and I'm sure to end up with pea soup if I don't try something, so I'll be the guinea pig and see how it works.

I'll report back mid to late summer and let you know :grumble:

Reaction score
Hey Jimbo,
I did try the barley pellets last year. I guess they helped but I wasn't overly impressed. I have some left so I will put them in again this year but I won't spend money on them again. I just keep adding more plants. It seems to do the trick and it looks better too! Good Luck!
Meekaboo

Reaction score
Barley extract goes to work faster than the straw does. The reason straw takes longer is because it has to break down in the water before it starts to release the compounds that help clear the water. The extract is just that, extracted compounds from fermented barley straw. Here is a link to a product that actually combines the extract and beneficial pond bacteria into one product ...barley straw extract

The other advantage the extract can pose over the straw is that you done end up with loose straw floating on the water, which can be an eyesore to some.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys!

Casey, that Barley Straw Extract you suggested looks like a much better product than what I was originally looking at! Thanks for the recommendation!

Reaction score
The straw has to decompose and get some sunlight to produce the algae inhibiting effect. You can submerge it in a mesh bag so it does not look unsightly. You can buy bails fairly cheap if you have larger ponds or the extract is probably better for smaller ponds. I used this and it worked in my ponds but i have read of it only being useful on certain algae types.

Reaction score
I had really green water last year, and I tried 3 things that worked. I bought the barley straw pellets from Dr. Foster, poured some into an old mesh bag that used to contain lemons, and hung it under my waterfall. I also got a UV filter, and floating water plants, mostly water hyacinth. The combination worked great. The barley straw pellets were first, and while they did not take care of the algae alone, they helped immensely. On bag lasted me the season.

Reaction score
I had really green water last year, and I tried 3 things that worked. I bought the barley straw pellets from Dr. Foster, poured some into an old mesh bag that used to contain lemons, and hung it under my waterfall. I also got a UV filter, and floating water plants, mostly water hyacinth. The combination worked great. The barley straw pellets were first, and while they did not take care of the algae alone, they helped immensely. One bag lasted me the season.

Reaction score
I have an 18w bulb in my UV Clarifier run it 24/7 in line coming directly off my pump.My pond (1800gal.) is so clear you can read the date off a dime in 2 feet of water! And havent spent a penny on barley....I see no reason to waste my money.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
A good bio filter is necessary and will do everything and more than both the UV and barley together. My water is absolutley clear without either.

Ask a Question