Barley preference

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What type of barley do you prefer or would recommend to use? Bales, Pellets or Liquid. My pond has a long waterfall, but isn't real big, approx. 7,000 gallons at little less than 2 ft. deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I tried small “bales” but it didn’t work to control algae. The wise folks on this forum told me to add more plants, and that did the trick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I do have plenty of plants. Do I really need to add barley if my pond is clear?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
None of the above. When I was a pond-newbie, I tried the liquid. It didn’t do much, so I added plants. Plants work well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The theory behind barley in the pond is that it produces hydrogen peroxide as it decays. Best to skip the decaying part and just add hydrogen peroxide in my opinion!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Why would you add anything if your pond is clear and the water parameters are fine...Is there another issue that concerns you enough to question the use of barley?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The theory behind barley in the pond is that it produces hydrogen peroxide as it decays. Best to skip the decaying part and just add hydrogen peroxide in my opinion!
I tried peroxide for the first time this year and it does seem to help. Also lots of plants in a bog work. Years ago I added barley and wasn't happy about the rotting mess it created.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
no, I was told years ago to use it. I had run out earlier this summer and was going to buy some more. I have a lot of plants, so i guess im good. Good to know I dont need to use it!
Thanks to all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Agree with the responses.

I too, in the past have tried the bails and the liquid concentrate.
I feel that it did nothing.

Plants have helped a lot. Lots of plants.

My bog filter also helps big time. Plus there's lots of plants growing in there as well.
Before the bog, my water was pea soup green. When I started up the bog, the water cleared in less than a week.

Ask a Question