Barley Straw Bundles Disappeared

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put two barley straw bundles in my pond this week--in a very shallow area with some grass growing in it--so they couldn't blow around and sink deep enough that I wouldn't be able to find them. Two days later, they were gone. I have looked all over and cannot find them. I have minnows, small fish, a larger catfish, and some turtles in the pond. Any ideas what could have happened to the bundles?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Jolene. Maybe the bundles separated and are now spread along the bottom.
No cant see that big lou as they are wrapped quite well , I'm wondering if any seeds in the bale have germinated and now you cant see it because of the growth of grasses put out by it .?

Dave

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
I put two barley straw bundles in my pond this week--in a very shallow area with some grass growing in it--so they couldn't blow around and sink deep enough that I wouldn't be able to find them. Two days later, they were gone. I have looked all over and cannot find them. I have minnows, small fish, a larger catfish, and some turtles in the pond. Any ideas what could have happened to the bundles?
Have you scooped the bottom?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I haven't scooped it as the pond is pretty large and deep, but they were placed in about 9-10 inch deep water, among some grasses so they couldn't blow away. The grasses are about 6-8 inches above the water, so I should be able to see them even if they sank--they are just GONE. I don't think they would have disintegrated in two days. And if they germinated and were growing that quickly that would be amazing; but I should be able to spot a thick clump of new growth. I was wondering if turtles would take them off--that's the only thing large enough in the pond that I could imagine would be able to move them. I have a heron that comes to the shallow area of the pond, but I can't imagine it could or would even want to fly off with them. I'm just baffled.

Ask a Question