Barley straw/hay

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I recently found a Becket product that claims to help with water clarity. Sachets of Barley hay.
Do they work? And how, exactly.
It's been too soon to tell yet as I've just tossed them into my pond this morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
garley straw just gets mucky and ugly and found that it was not worth it .I have used the liquid with peat in it .But really saw it did not do much .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The bales can clog up and cause problems, depends on water flow.
I can't really comment on the quality of various liquid additives, but the science behind the benefits of humic substances is pretty good.

Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true but in adding barley with peat it will turn the water a little brown .Not sure most would like that look .It is like a pee brown ,yellowish brown .I use it in my stock tanks once in awhile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hopefully people will change their minds.
Any tint (green, yellow, brown) will also help protect their fish from sunburn.

Reaction score
I, too, wish people would move away from the idea that crystal clear water is the goal in a pond. I watch a lot of pond build videos and invariably someone will exclaim "look at that water quality!" because the water is clear. Come on now... you can't see "water quality". Couple that with the koi pond owners who boast about their "gin clear water" and you have a whole lot of ponders who fret over their tea-colored pond.

Concern yourself with the health of the pond - clarity is not a good barometer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny thing is when I add peat it only stays tea colored for a day or 2 and then turns clear .Even koi clay turns it cloudy for a day or 2 and then clear

Ad

Advertisements

JohnHuff

Accidental ponder
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Don't bother. I've used them and didn't find they made a difference. Using them is a bandaid anyway. If you want good water quality, you need to work on the basics.

You need good mechanical filters to get rid of the solids. You need good water parameters for the rest. It all comes down to good water quality, i.e. a good filter, maintenance, and treating your pond well.

Ask a Question