Barley straw query

vic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over two weeks ago not surprisingly the water in my 1000 gall pond without a UV had turned green.I decided to try using barley straw and floated the prescribed amount in the pond.I read that it takes between two and four weeks for the straw to work but after no more than three days for some reason it was crystal clear.However ,in the last couple of days it has coloured again although nowhere near as bad.Can someone please explain

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s because you didn’t treat the cause of the “green,” you treated the symptom. IOW, excess nutrients. Give it a few more weeks, add plants if you haven’t already, and don’t overfeed your fish. Don’t add any more barley straw — as it decomposes, it is going to add more organic to the water, which in turn is feeding the algae.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feeding is the main culprit .You feed the fish to much and you can and will get green water .Do you have a test kit

vic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise that in most case algae will reappear but what I really want to know is why did it disappear and reappear so quickly and not what it says on the tin.Secondly does barley straw really work?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
barley straw breaks down to be a form of peroxide .feeding and sunlight and spawning will change a ponds water real fast

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
I agree - throwing anything in your pond that is going to decompose is only going to make the problem worse. Plus in the time it takes to decompose you could be adding peroxide and having good results without the side effects.
Yes, I remember you tried to worn me when I posted a thread like this some time ago. You were correct I saw no effect from the barley straw. Some times we have to do it the hard way to learn I guess.
Since then I have built a bog and invested in a large pre filter for my stream.
I have had nothing but clear healthy water since.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yay!

I think in THEORY the barley straw works - I know they use it in large natural ponds to help clear algae. I just think in a small pond it takes too long and you end up with a blog of decaying straw - gross! I say just cut to the chase and use peroxide, since that's allegedly what makes the barley straw effective. Peroxide is cheap and safe - not a big investment if it doesn't help and it won't hurt anything in the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true overfeeding and maybe need more filtration or aerator .I keep airstones in each filter .I think it really does help

Ask a Question