Barley

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Does barley extract safe for koi pond? Years ago I used barley straw, so I was wondering is barley extract goor for algae?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does barley extract safe for koi pond?
Yes, it is safe.
Years ago I used barley straw, so I was wondering is barley extract goor for algae?
Yes, it too is safe for your fish and works. I used the extract for a magazine assignment many years ago to compare its effectiveness vs plants or other methods. What I found is if you use the extract as directed (with a new pond) it works. The directions stated it is ineffective in an established pond that is plagued with a blanket of hair algae etc. That is true. Two things to consider: It is really expensive compared to alternatives such as live plants. And in my opinion, it is akin to continually airing up a leaking car tire rather than solving the root problem. Consider live plants (even a bog filter) and shading your pond as needed. How large is your pond?

Ask a Question