Barley

Reaction score
Has anyone here grown their own barley? I thought I might try planting some winter barley in 6 foot circles just like it was ornament grass. Winter crop would give me nice color in the winter plus I would have the pleasure of producing my own barley straw? I use edible landscape plants within my pond landscape like rubbarb and asperigus(sp):rolleyes: Going to plant more edibles in the spring. Anyway any barley growers here. I am finding it difficult to locate barley seeds in lb bags.
DebraLynn

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Check the net, there are a lot of places that have the seed for sale, cheap prices also. I am going to be planting veggies in my bog next summer. Will see how they do.
Good idea to grow your own barley

Reaction score
I have tried to post this reply 2 times already. This is my last try. I found winter barley. I have a pound extra if anyone might like to trade me for some winter wheat. I think wheat is so pretty.
There was only one man in the next county (Monroe) over that grows it. He sells his barley straw for $8.00 a bale. In case there is someone in this area in need of a supplier. Monroe county in on the Virginia and West Virginia border.
I am kinda excited to grow something new. I am going to Lewisburg today. I will look of flowers going to seed in the publicly landscaped areas. Since I will have no money for seeds or plants next year. Divorces suck financially

DebraLynn

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DebraLynn, did you end up growing the winter barley? How did it do and are you going to try to use it in your pond this year?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I were to find and buy a bale of barley how is it stored to keep for a long time........just in a dry shed or garage?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Watch when storing because internal temps can ignite barley just like straw or hay .If you are going to store it I was told by a farmer here to put a 3 inch pipe down through the center to let heat escape or at least allow the center of the bale to breath and also that mice and rodents and snakes like it also for heat and nesting .He told best way to store was garbage can with air holes poked in it and not tightly packed and lid on tight with something to hold the lid down .Make sure the holes are not big enough for mice and check it and make sure it is not getting moldy and mice have not chewed there way in Cool dry place away from sunlight but has good air circulation .I buy every year but share the bale with neghbors and give some to the deer .I try to buy what they call half bales .Thats why I was hoping what the farmer behind me is growing is barley looks like it but he is not sure what he had planted in that field as a cover crop .He never really keeps track in that field as it is close to the woods and he just puts whatever there to keep hill from eroding

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
farm supplies like southern states and tractor supply sell it here but I can get a half bale 1.25 so cheaper than growing it .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Gosh I didn't even think about it igniting and I should have cuz the neighbor up the road had his big huge barn burn w/ all his bales in it. The fire dept said it spontaneously combusted :confused: Guess the garbage can thing would be the best idea and if you could find a metal one would that be ok if you kept it outdoors in the shade? But then if you have to put holes in it seems like it would get to damp outdoors. Maybe one should just buy it in small quantity to be safe :cool:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep mine out by my back shed and put 2 waterproof tarps over it loosely with rocks holding them down since it has holes in it sides and bottom it airs well .I put it up on 3 concrete blocks so air can come out bottom too. I also stake the tarps loosely around it .It is in the shed and because it is near the woods I guess your idea of metal can may be better as mice can not chew holes open .The half bales are a lot smaller and I get them at my garden center here now .They get quarter bales too but I get there to late and everyone beats me to them

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sissy I have never seen them in the garden centers here are you talking about the big box hardware stores and tractor supply?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry no local garden centers carry them like harris nursery here and haymore garden center and several others here .I know also some of the local farms around here sell them also and used to be southern states sold them but not any more .But most farms here have it if you ask .Even half bales are a lot as I feed some to the deer .I had to ask harris nursery as they do not tell you they have it or have even a sign saying they had it .When I asked the lady told me they always carry it but yet they don't let any one know which I don't understand .I live in farm country so much easier to get but sometimes you have to ask .Farmers here who sell hay and straw usually have barley .I didn't know that for 3 years .I guess they want to keep it to themselves

Reaction score
As long as the Barley Straw is baled up & has went through its drying stage you can put it into a mesh bag & cover with a white plastic trash bag & keep it inside your garage as i have done it for several years Its just like any other hay bales it has to be dry or it will go through whats know as a heat & that is what will cause the above pribs as long as its dry your ok it just needs a little air & never stack it too tight or near a metal roof thats is worse as i was rasies on a farm baling all types of hay
Coolwind Bama

Ask a Question