Barred Owl in my bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Predawn today I caught one of the resident owls sitting in my bog! I was shaking so hard my pictures are mostly crap, but I did get some decent ones. He/she hopped up on lotus tub for a while, then on the ground, then on my chair till deciding it was time for a nap and off in the woods he/she glided. An absolute thrill for me to see it in my yard, much less in my bog :) One day I'll have to invest in a motion activated outdoor cam so I don't have to rely on my shaky camera skills.
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool. There's a rec trail near my house and, last year, we had a barred owl follow us for about 1/2 mile while we were out for a walk. It just flew from tree branch to tree branch, staring at us. It was both awesome and a little bit creepy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
How exciting!!!! We have these in our neighborhood - we hear them all the time but I have only seen one once. It was flying over the driveway just before full dark, so I didn't get to see it very well! Thank you for sharing the pictures and congratulations!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Cool. There's a rec trail near my house and, last year, we had a barred owl follow us for about 1/2 mile while we were out for a walk. It just flew from tree branch to tree branch, staring at us. It was both awesome and a little bit creepy.
There's a rec trail in the woods behind us, it's a greenway that goes for miles so the owls have a nice safe area. I see or hear them often this time of year - it was a major part of why I bought here. I can't imagine the eerie feeling you must have had being followed by one!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How exciting!!!! We have these in our neighborhood - we hear them all the time but I have only seen one once. It was flying over the driveway just before full dark, so I didn't get to see it very well! Thank you for sharing the pictures and congratulations!
Thanks! I'm so thrilled when I hear them, seeing them is absolutely thrilling for me. And this time of year I get to see them a lot :) this was a couple of days ago from my yard ...
IMG_0004.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is looking for a fish dinner . My neighbor last year lost 3 fish to a owl . They thought it was cute until they found out he likes fish . They thought he was after mice . I have to watch the buzzards now because I caught 2 of them swooping down on my 3 chihuahuas . They ran for the deck and got near the door . At least they knew he was a predator , scared me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is looking for a fish dinner . My neighbor last year lost 3 fish to a owl . They thought it was cute until they found out he likes fish . They thought he was after mice . I have to watch the buzzards now because I caught 2 of them swooping down on my 3 chihuahuas . They ran for the deck and got near the door . At least they knew he was a predator , scared me
Yes, you're little ones are at risk from above for sure. No risk of that here -- greyhounds are too big to carry away :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I may have told this story on here before - but one night we were outside scraping paint on our porch floor. We heard this sound like drunken monkeys on a killing spree. It was crazy -- hoo hoo hoo Ha Ha HAAAA - the whole nine yards. I honestly thought it was people playing a prank -- since it was highly unlikely that some monkeys had escaped the zoo! It never occurred to me that it could be owls. That's how much it sounded like monkeys. After hearing it again a few more evenings, I tried calling our birdwatcher's store and I did my impression over the phone. After he stopped laughing, the guy said I'd done a very good impression of a barred owl - excited at the prospect of having a mate or hunting down some dinner!
I bet you could google for the call of hunting/mating barred owls. It is wild!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never seen this happen before and my neighbor said the same happened to her . i guess that is why the cats either hide in their condo or under the front porch now . She has smaller dogs than mine . I wonder if there is less road kill for them since gas prices are so high and people can't afford to go out that road kill diet is shrinking for them .My neighbor lost 3 of her pet rabbits also that she raises . The buzzards destroyed the net over the pen and rabbit hutch

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get a lot of smaller barn owls since there are several farms around me . I talked to Charlie yesterday and he is not raising cattle this year or even farming . Supplies and costs are not worth it he said . I wondered why I have not heard cows this year , he usually has why over a hundred of them . I loved his farm stand being with in walking distance . Made me remember my parents farm and how neighbors would ride bikes over or walk to get fresh organic veggies ( back in the 60's when organic was not a key word ).We only had 7 acres farmed but we were very popular . Hard work but worth the friends we made

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here is a funny recording of some barred owls. They make weird sounds!
watch
That's a fabulous recording! I have heard some of that, but not all. Evidently the pair here is not threatened by other owls. Apparently the Great Horned Owls are their mortal enemy - kinda glad I've not seen them here.

Ask a Question