Barred owl

Reaction score
My pond may have been preyed upon by a Barred owl. When I got home from work my daughter handed me a large feather saying she found it on the waterfall of the small pond. She told me the white goldfish was gone. The feather belongs to a Barred owl and the fish is gone, so it is very possible the owl got him. It would be the first time my ponds were preyed upon and am afraid it will not be the last. I hate the idea of having to cover the ponds with netting.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Barred Owl Feeding Preferences

Though the Barred Owl is basically a nocturnal bird, it is a very opportunistic hunter and will hunt even before dark. The Barred Owl feeds mainly on small mammals such as field mice, shrews, and deer mice. It also eats small squirrels, baby rabbits, bats, moles, possums, minks, and weasels. The Barred Owl often sits on a tree branch or any other perch waiting for prey and then swoops down quickly to grab its food.
Aside from small mammals, the Barred Owl likes to eat fish, turtles, frogs, snakes, lizards, crayfish, and some insects. In fact, it is said that the pinkish tinge in its belly is due to the amount of crayfish that it eats. Barred Owls are also attracted by light because of the amount of insects that gather around it.

You might need to net your pond.........We have a ton of owls around, can hear the hooting most of the night.

Ask a Question