Barrel, Bog or both

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am still learning this whole ponding thing so bear with me. My pond is totally rocked in, I love the natural look. Never put too much thought into filtration… I knew going in I was going to have some algae growth on the rock and accepted that as being natural looking. My first partial summer(Finished built in August) with the pond the stringy/mossy algae moved in right away, My pond is in full sun most of the day. This past season was my first full season with the pond and that same stringy/mossy algae continued. I added a small planter filter, a bunch of plants and barley bail in my skimmer. It was controlled but I still didn’t like the look. This summer I want to beef up my filtration and I have 2 options. I picked up a 55 gallon barrel and I also have a large preformed pond I was thinking about adding above my waterfall as a bog. I really want to keep the natural look of my pond area so I am leaning towards the preform as my bog. Although I can come up with a way to cover the barrel so it’s not so industrial looking. My biggest fear is redoing the upper part of my waterfall bog area and not liking how my water fall looks (I am super picky, obsessed with that natural look). So I am looking for help, advise, inspiration from all you great people on here. Barrel or Bog or both? Can I really ever knock this algae back enough? My pond is around 1400 gallons and I only have 2 fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am still learning this whole ponding thing so bear with me. My pond is totally rocked in, I love the natural look. Never put too much thought into filtration… I knew going in I was going to have some algae growth on the rock and accepted that as being natural looking. My first partial summer(Finished built in August) with the pond the stringy/mossy algae moved in right away, My pond is in full sun most of the day. This past season was my first full season with the pond and that same stringy/mossy algae continued. I added a small planter filter, a bunch of plants and barley bail in my skimmer. It was controlled but I still didn’t like the look. This summer I want to beef up my filtration and I have 2 options. I picked up a 55 gallon barrel and I also have a large preformed pond I was thinking about adding above my waterfall as a bog. I really want to keep the natural look of my pond area so I am leaning towards the preform as my bog. Although I can come up with a way to cover the barrel so it’s not so industrial looking. My biggest fear is redoing the upper part of my waterfall bog area and not liking how my water fall looks (I am super picky, obsessed with that natural look). So I am looking for help, advise, inspiration from all you great people on here. Barrel or Bog or both? Can I really ever knock this algae back enough? My pond is around 1400 gallons and I only have 2 fish.
Do you have a skimmer? When did you add the plants and how many do you have? What is the flow rate on your present pump? Do you have any biofiltration at present? If so, what?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I don't have a skimmer .I do add a barley bail but I also add liquid barley
ponddigger has great info on all this stuff

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love his info on his new video's on ask the pond digger .I really am not one who likes barrels as they can overflow and drain your pond .I am not putting down people who have them but I prefer to have my filter controlled and there is a liner around my filter so it can run right back into my pond

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't have a skimmer .I do add a barley bail but I also add liquid barley
ponddigger has great info on all this stuff
Eric and I are old acquaintances. His various YouTube video series has done much to provide accurate information on a wide variety of topics. We have gone head to head a couple of times on subject matter. The only problem that I have with his 'Ask the Digger' series is that he does not allow enough time to really answer some questions, often omitting important information because of time restraints.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Very true but at least he is trying his best to get info out there and his video's better than some of the pond installers video's .He goes into more detail than most do .I think his ask pond digger video's are ground breaking because he is giving out info that other pond video's do not give out .He is in Cali. so addressing problems in colder climates is a little harder for him but he is at least trying .He says in his last video about his time limits

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Very true but at least he is trying his best to get info out there and his video's better than some of the pond installers video's .He goes into more detail than most do .I think his ask pond digger video's are ground breaking because he is giving out info that other pond video's do not give out .He is in Cali. so addressing problems in colder climates is a little harder for him but he is at least trying .He says in his last video about his time limits

Yes, He is and the pond hobby is better for it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I have watched most of his video's 3 or more times .It is a good distraction when hubby is in the hospital or has to go to the doctors .I even had my dentist last week watching the video .He was waiting for the xrays and I had it on my tablet .I had nurses in the hospital watching also .I have never seen any other pond builder on you tube or tv give so much info .So I am a big fan .Like my father says you don't ask questions you never learn .Believe me i ask him lots of questions ;):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
With a 1400 gallon pond and two fish, you're certainly not overstocked. Last summer I added a very nice aerator to the pond, in addition to the skimmer and filtration I rely on. I was amazed how the improved O2 levels helped with algae control.

I'm not an expert, by any means, but have done well with my pond for over 10 years, and I now have a good "feel" for it. Perhaps someone with more expertise then me could explain why the increased O2 helped my algae situation?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They say it helps to oxygenate your pond as it keeps algae down and I also bought a laguna aerator last year and mainly because my pond was new .I think it did help get the pond up and going faster also .Going to have to ask pond digger if it is true or not .I never add anything but bacteria, peroxide and lava rock in my filters and crushed oyster shells and activated charcoal and some zeolite .I have also added liquid barley and heard barley with peat is good .

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Barrel or Bog or both?

I only have one season of experience with my bog but I can tell you that so far I'm thrilled with it. Not only has my pond remained crystal clear since I put it in, but I like having that extra area to plant marginals. It gives the frogs another spot to hang out, and the birds a place to bathe and drink.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
With a 1400 gallon pond and two fish, you're certainly not overstocked. Last summer I added a very nice aerator to the pond, in addition to the skimmer and filtration I rely on. I was amazed how the improved O2 levels helped with algae control.

I'm not an expert, by any means, but have done well with my pond for over 10 years, and I now have a good "feel" for it. Perhaps someone with more expertise then me could explain why the increased O2 helped my algae situation?

All living creatures require Carbon to exist. This includes all bacteria and all algae. In an pond without aeration (speaking of bottom aeration here), the availability of Oxygen decreases with depth. So the bacteria that colonize the bottom of the pond compete for the available Oxygen and Carbon uptake is limited leaving the larger share for planktonic algae to assimilate and thus thrive. When a pond is aerated, more Oxygen is made available to the bacteria at the bottom of the pond promoting better growth and an increased uptake of the Carbon that is present. The fact that bacteria are more efficient at assimilating the Carbon than Planktonic algae means that the Carbon available to the planktonic algae is now limited reducing the algae population and growth. This same boost in Oxygen helps facilitate the breakdown of debris and sediment on the pond's bottom.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I also found that putting airlines in both of my filters helps a lot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you have a skimmer? When did you add the plants and how many do you have? What is the flow rate on your present pump? Do you have any biofiltration at present? If so, what?

Skimmer yes. Plants I have 10-15 pump for the skimmer I believe is 2400 not sure the rate drop because it's pumping up to my falls. The pump to my planter is a smaller one and I don't remember exactly. I also have an air stone in the main pond.

Ask a Question