Barrel filter help

Reaction score
Half whiskey barrel lava rock filter help! So someone I know had this great idea of making a lava rock filter but I need some help. Please message me if you have add and used one successfully.

Thank you!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You'll probably get better and more widespread help if you tell us in this topic what you'd like to know.

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I'm new to here and ponds as well. I was hoping for a link on how to properly put one together.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Hi: More information would help us. What are you using this for? A pond, with or without fish? How big? Do you have pics?
Cheers,
Dr. Sir John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Annette yes you can if you wish use lava rock as part of your filtration but personally I wouldnt , instead I would go for a more conventional filter medium such as Japanese matting and quilt batting. You could then if you wished too add more barrels in sequence and have differing filter materials in each the last in the line being a bio filter non static with k1 filter medium and bio balls .
We have four filters each in sequence the amount of area for producing helpful bacteria done this way is quite simply staggering and provided that you give them regular maintenance will keep your pond in tip top and crystal clear conditions :)

Dave :)

Reaction score
Welcome Annette!

Is the notion of the whiskey barrel for the aesthetics of the pond and decor of the patio area? If so, then I would suggest using an EPDM liner inside the whiskey barrel or a molded HDPE drum cut down to fit inside it to keep the water from contact with the whiskey barrel's oak slats as much as possible. You would still have the appearance of the rustic looking whiskey barrel, but preserve the wood for as long as possible. I think the idea is really swell, but having the wood, even though it is oak, in constant contact with the pond water will rot the barrel slats out fast. It is not the same as storing alcohol/whiskey in the barrel.

I have thought of using a whiskey barrel for such a purpose and proposed it to others before as well because it would look very swell. However, the wood must be protected. The whiskey keg or barrel can only serve as a facade and the filter portion should be contained within a waterproof drum or liner.

Gordy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have used lava rock in my filters with no issues for 11 years now .Whiskey barrel if wood needs to be sealed .You can buy that spray on rubber stuff it does work .I know I have used it several times

Reaction score
Hi: More information would help us. What are you using this for? A pond, with or without fish? How big? Do you have pics?
Cheers,
Dr. Sir John

Is around 1500 gallons and yes it has koi, I wanted to use it as a filter. A master gardener explained to me how to set it up but it never did work properly so I moved it. It started as just a little puddle and 2 days age my daughter des cited to putt the liner and make it a bit bigger. Anyway I would like to set up the lave rock filter properly unless it's not a good idea.
Thank you for responding :)
Annette

Reaction score
I have used lava rock in my filters with no issues for 11 years now .Whiskey barrel if wood needs to be sealed .You can buy that spray on rubber stuff it does work .I know I have used it several times

Hi Sissy :)
Could you tell me step by step if possible what you lava rock filter consist of and how it's set up:) I am very much an armature and have no idea what I'm going but would love to learn so any help would be appreciated :)

Have a great day!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how big is the barrel and was it lined before putting lava rock in and does it have a way to back flush it to clean it .

Reaction score
how big is the barrel and was it lined before putting lava rock in and does it have a way to back flush it to clean it .

It's just one of those half whiskey barrels that has one of those liners with a lip so the water can run into the pond? I'm sorry but I don't know what ack flush is. I think in way in over my head......

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my lava rock is in a stock tank and to back flush it I use a pump to push all the nasty gunk through it .I also use plants in my filters to help keep down the fish waste and poo .my lava rock is all inside of dollar store laundry bags so if I have to clean them I can just pull the bags and soak them .To me a barrel if it is tall it would be hard to clean them unless you put a pump in the bottom with a hose attached and pump all the gunk out .You do need space on the bottom for the gunk to setter .I have a grate sitting on top of bricks and then the lava rock goes on top .I have a small pump in the bottom under the grate to back flush .I just turn off my main pump turn on my hose put it in the top and plug in the pump and pump all the gunk out of the bottom of the tank .You could put the grate in the bottom higher for more gunk to settle there and a bigger pump than I have which my little pump is only 150 gph

Attachments

• pond 2013 028.JPG
    pond 2013 028.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 428
  • pond 2013 011.JPG
    pond 2013 011.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 369
  • pond june 27th 2013 041.JPG
    pond june 27th 2013 041.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 421

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
most have a barrel have an outlet at the bottom to drain the gunk out but guessing with a wooden barrel that may be hard to do

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Anette in laymans terms to back flush is to reverse the flow of water through a filter to remove detitus gunk etc from a filter via its drain.
I think we are talking two differing filter barrels here ot to worry though there is a wealth of information on all forms of filtration on this site you'll soon learn as we are all a very nice bunch of fishy folks :)

Dave;)

Ask a Question