Basement Fish Pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
Canada
In winter here in Winterpeg, I have to bring my fish inside. Here is a photo of my setup in my basement with all of my goldfish swimming around. If I were to get rid of the goldfish would this pond work for 2 or more Koi for the winter?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3b88.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3b88.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,079
  • _1040060.JPG
    _1040060.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 534

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Do like colleen does in Canada .She keeps hers outside .As they get older and bigger it will get harder

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I would buy a 2x4 sheet of double walled plastic from Home Depot and place it over the top of your indoor pond.
That will help reduce evaporation and mould from developing inside your house over the winter.
If you're using an HRV, it will reduce the work the HRV has to do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice to have them indoors for the winter :)

I thought of building a winter pond in my basement, and bring in all my fish, it would be so cool to be able to have them indoor, but then I worry that the in and out would be more stressful for them than the staying outdoor for the winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did that the first few winters I had a small preform pond. I didn't want to leave them outdoors over the winter in only 18 inch deep water. When we dug a 3 foot deep pond I left them outdoors all year.

I don't feel the fish were stressed at all. I never lost one during this time and they received food and water changes during the time they were indoors.

Used a 150 gallon stock tank and mature filter I pulled from the outdoor pond. Fish were fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't feel the fish were stressed at all. I never lost one during this time and they received food and water changes during the time they were indoors.

I think the concern is that catching the fish will cause stress. I know my big koi get very freaked out as soon as they realize I am using the net to try to catch a fish vs skim leaves. I always worry that they will hurt themselves in the frenzy of trying to get away from the net. They do the know the difference - when I am skimming for leaves, they will swim right up to the net, no problem.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Funny how they know the difference, silly fish :LOL:

I would guess some fish do experience some amount of stress being caught. But it depends on the fish and how your trying to catch them. Some of my fancy goldfish swim right to my hand and I pick them up and move them without a net (not much stress there) The commons are not always so easy to catch.

Ask a Question