Bath tub pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son in law just bought a bath to which he found out is the wrong size, the company won't let him return it as he's drilled it for the taps... So he asked me and the wife if we could take it and throw it away at the local refuse tip... So we thought oooh we'll have that for a pond haha.
Atm we havnt got power in the garden so would it be ok as a still pond (wildlife pond) without fish to avoid bioload? We will be stuffing with with plants etc which act as natural filters.
What's people's thoughts?
Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! That is a great idea for an unwanted tub. Will you sink it in or have it above ground? Toss in a frog or two and you will have a real conversation piece. Please let us know how it goes. And, we are always willing to help. Again, welcome!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys, it will be above ground as the groud we have is rediculously hard, we will need to hire in a digger lol. We will be boxing it in eventually with log piles, rockery and pot plants etc. I'll also silicone flat rocks/slate around the rim of the bath to make it more natural looking.
Thanks again guys.
Ps will post up pics as soon as it gets started :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1613241393142.gif
@Hades

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What fun! Now you have me envisioning an entire bathroom themed garden - the bathtub 'pond' next to an antique sink with the bowl planted, perhaps a commode with petunias spilling out of the tank and a potted plant on the 'throne'... The possibilities are endless! :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome, yes it can be a nice wildlife pond! Make sure you have climb out spots for the frogs etc. I have some thick sticks in mine to help them out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah no worries, will have reeds around the ends, baskets for Marsh type plants etc plus I'll put in some shallow depth shelves with pieces of wood and rocks for easy access in and out. :D

Ask a Question