Batterning down the hatches

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well are we in for a good one starting from Sunday have spent much of the day doing a routine flushing through of the vortex as well as a 30% water change.
And thats where the work started, I've had to make sure the filter housing is secure and weighed down with large stones then we had to do the same with the Polycarbonate sheeting .
The same was then done with the Polycarbonate sheeting on the QT system.
Both Parasols were then lowered and homach lashed as tilght as possible .
Then we had to check that the Generator was primed and ready to go,
The reason for all this frantic activity is we have the mother of all storms bering down on us from the atlantic Oceon coupled to the Jet Steam which is down over us at the moment .
Sunday and Monday should see winds of up to 90 mph possibly more.
The US Navy have had to cancel a visit to Plymouth and have headed for calmer seas until everything blows over .
There are amber and red alerts all up and down the coasts of Devon Cornwall all up and down the English channel and up to the Irish sea towards Scotland..
The last time we had anything like this was 1987 when Both Europe and the UK got trashed.

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've a feeling we are going to need it , its not often the MET office who''s HQ is now in Devon ( it used to be London) go out on a limb like this if this turnes into a Hurricane this will make it my third , one at sea the other two on land.
I'll tell you they scare the crap out of me having seen just what they can do .
The Aircraft Carrier I was on had to put in to Norfolk Virginia for three whole weeks of repairs back in 76

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow hang on to your hat! Good luck to you

Reaction score
Oh wow Dave, I just looked up your area and you are right in the path for the worst of it for a projection of 80+ mph winds ... Being a Navy man, I know no one needs to tell you the effects of strong winds and water hitting land ... With our geographical location (sticking out into the Atlantic), between tropical storms, tropical cyclones and nor'easters, we see winds close to this range a few times a year (gusts in the 60-80 mph range). They are no joke as a gust, and if substained, well, damages can be extensive. Expect some severe tree damages, roof damages and depending on your elevation above sea level, some flooding ... If you have the option of bringing the fish inside, I would ... If you cant, cover the pond in a couple of layers of strong nets, well anchored to the ground .. to hope anything landing on the pond doesnt end up totally in it ...do NOT tarp it, as wind getting under the tarp can cause massive damage ...

Does the UK offer "hurricane prep instructions"? You could be without power for sometime. When Hurricane Bob hit my area in 1991, our community really got caught with our pants down. Being used to 60-80 mph winds, no one really took the risks of Bob seriously, including our public officials. We had substained winds of 80-100, with gusts to 125 mph in some areas. Most of the area was without power for more than a month. We were lucky and only went eight days, as we were on the same power supply as the hospital, so crews made certain areas a priority ... Even though we got our power back early, it didnt mean stores and gas stations did ... there were massive lines to get water, ice, and fuel, and often by the time you made it to the head of the line, they ran out ... If the UK doesnt offer hurricane prep tips, give a shout here, as I am sure there are several members who have dealt with the effects/aftermath of strong winds.

Do you have any crates for the cats? God forbid once the wind starts blowing, if a branch breaks a window, you want no chance of them getting out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
diesilplower thankfully there are some large rocks on the pond cover so its going nowhere nohow, also the pond stands 4ft out of the ground so there wont be any flooding getting in anywhere .
Living in a vally at the top end may get a bit dodgy for us especially as the wind funnels up the slope through houses and straight down the passageway next to our flat , which in turn feeds round the coner to the pond ....
capewind sadly no they arent as forward thinking in the UK and think that the alerts will help people hunker down for the main event, but the generator is the good koi keepers guide to not having a disaster there is enough poke in it to light up the flat and we have petrol in the shed ready to go plus a large supply of tinned food incase we loss the freezer heat ond ooking wise we go for gas so are covered there .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They have a pretty good track reord powerwise I cant recall any power cuts not during major weather in all my years down here , it has something to do with having a dockyard and Regional Hospital in the same area.
Opening shots this morning being Heavy thunder but theres hours before the main event yet , thats due about 18:00 pm this evening and on the day the clocks went back oh boy we certainly pick our days for bad weather .

rgrds

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The clocks went back today? We do it nov 3 next weekend. I never knew you all did it a week before we all do it ............lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes addy we did it this morning at 02:00 AM.GMT@
However you must remember we are the Greenwhich Meridian here in London UK and as such all the worlds time zones are set from the UK.
Which means its going to be dark just as this hits us tonight which is something we dont really need.
As a former Mariner I pray safe passage for those out at sea in this tonight.
Weve already had thunder with trong gusts this morning which is probably a forerunner of tonight.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question